2.5" maximum valving

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

84prerunner

2:AM Fabrication
Feb 7, 2008
Covina CA
Ive been tempted to try some comp clickers but havent yet. Even with a bottom mount resi a race truck i prep that runs dual 2.5s on the front sees shock temps over 300*. Poor little shocks are cooking. Melts Orings pretty much every race lol

crazyracer

Tres Cuatro Tacos
Sep 27, 2006
Pacific Beach, CA
Depends on Viton seal or Buna seal.

Buna's are only good up to ~250*F while Viton's can go up to 600*F.
I can't recall what my rear swayaway 2.5's hit in San Felipe, but they were holding oil just fine, could boil water, and had dual .020's for the first 2 discs before a single .020 stack after. I doubt there was much margin though before seal failure.

Apr 24, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
I have smoked a 2.5 on the front of a 4runner. In ocotillio.
Oh so one time you cooked a shock and melted a seal. Shit happens when your party naked Barge. Doesn't mean it's gonna happen every time to everyone. I cooked one of my 3.0 coilovers on my race truck once. Rebuilt it and kept on playing Bon Jovi Livin' on a prayer! and all was good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
Oh so one time you cooked a shock and melted a seal. Shit happens when your party naked Barge. Doesn't mean it's gonna happen every time to everyone. I cooked one of my 3.0 coilovers on my race truck once. Rebuilt it and kept on playing Bon Jovi Livin' on a prayer! and all was good!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ive got 2.5s on the rear of my ranger....does this mean i wont be able to drive it offroad?????????????

oorracing

<span style="color: orange;">DR Mod</span>
Jan 15, 2006
Long Beach Ca
Three shims on compression is all you need... well that and a rate plate.
This method of tuning works well for bigger whoops and rollers and such, but it is excruciating to hit square edge holes. A top resi shock will just cavitate and “absorb” it still but try that with a bottom mount resi shock and it will kick you in the tailbone so damn hard haha. I’ve gotten away from doing rate plate stuff and removing 2-3 base shims to increase the fulcrum point for that very reason. You can get the same seat of the pants feeling by increasing the mid speed damping which stops the shims from bending so far open, but on a high speed square edge hit they’ll still have some give to them.

I love shocks. NEVER STOP EXPERIMENTING!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds