89 Ranger 4x4

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

GahnRacing

Senór Member
Oct 5, 2012
Clovis, CA
I'm about a year and a half into this build so far. Most of my beginning pictures were lost
so this is what I have going so far

89 Ranger 4x4 2.9
D35-D44 Hybrid TTB
Dirtech housing 35 spline Stange 3rd 6.0's chromoly spool
3 link
1 3/4 chromoly cage front to back

Pictures are way out of order and a little not up to date I'll post more of the cab cage and interior soon... and I'm not the best welder so I hired a guy to weld it all thats not me

stevyboy

Oct 12, 2010
Long Beach
www.youtube.com
Thanks man, I wish I had more of a direction for the truck when I started haha. Oh well live and learn.

So more or less you are gaining only strength in the outer ends? 4x4 wise it is not any stronger because of the stock d35 third and inner axles are still a smaller spline?

Last edited:

GahnRacing

Senór Member
Oct 5, 2012
Clovis, CA
Thanks man, I wish I had more of a direction for the truck when I started haha. Oh well live and learn.

So more or less you are gaining only strength in the outer ends? 4x4 wise it is not any stronger because of the stock d35 third and inner axles are still a smaller spline?
The D35 inner is a 27 spline and the D44 is a 30 spline, so 4x4 wise I'm not gaining much, but overall the diameter of the shafts in the hydbrid are larger than that of a full D44 shaft. What I am gaining is a wider bearing spread, bigger hubs, bigger calipers, bigger rotors, and have a 5 on 5.5 lug pattern. What kept me away from just doing a D44 conversion was where the 3rd housing would hit the frame. From what I've read, without notching into the frame, I would lose a decent amount of bump travel.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds