89 Ranger 4x4

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Oct 18, 2017
Jamul
You'll be plenty fine. I'm running 5.13's and it moves pretty good. Only thing I would suggest, which I haven't done yet, is run the 4.0 clutch/flywheel. The 2.9 one seems to want to slip a lot. I'm hoping it makes an improvement. The 2.9 is where it's at, let the naysayers naysay.
I have an auto trans, but I actually prefer it over my old 5-speed B2, that trans was garbage stock. You done anything to the motor itself?

GahnRacing

Bonsai Trimmer
Oct 5, 2012
Clovis, CA
I have an auto trans, but I actually prefer it over my old 5-speed B2, that trans was garbage stock. You done anything to the motor itself?
Nothing really. Just headers and an 87' throttle body. I picked up another 2.9 from 805TundraVc on here. I was going through his build thread and he had posted saying that the previous owner said it had a performance cam and some head work done. I pulled the upper intake and it looks as if both the upper and lower have been opened up and port matched. I'm excited to see what the heads look like. Hopefully it makes a little more power.

Oct 18, 2017
Jamul
Nothing really. Just headers and an 87' throttle body. I picked up another 2.9 from 805TundraVc on here. I was going through his build thread and he had posted saying that the previous owner said it had a performance cam and some head work done. I pulled the upper intake and it looks as if both the upper and lower have been opened up and port matched. I'm excited to see what the heads look like. Hopefully it makes a little more power.
Yeah any extra power would help these engines haha. What headers are you running? I’ve been contemplating doing a custom exhaust/intake combo to help mine breath better. Was kinda worried about smog, then I remembered it never passed to begin with lol

GahnRacing

Bonsai Trimmer
Oct 5, 2012
Clovis, CA
Thing is looking tits! Good job!!!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man, I'm trying to get it all knocked out little by little
Yeah any extra power would help these engines haha. What headers are you running? I’ve been contemplating doing a custom exhaust/intake combo to help mine breath better. Was kinda worried about smog, then I remembered it never passed to begin with lol
I'm running JBA headers. I have another set for sale if you're interested, they're a little older. And if you want it to breathe better, pick yourself up an 86' or 87' throttle body. It bolts directly on and the size difference is ridiculous. I'll post some pics to show the difference.

Oct 18, 2017
Jamul
Thanks man, I'm trying to get it all knocked out little by little

I'm running JBA headers. I have another set for sale if you're interested, they're a little older. And if you want it to breathe better, pick yourself up an 86' or 87' throttle body. It bolts directly on and the size difference is ridiculous. I'll post some pics to show the difference.
I’d have to ship em, I’m in southeast San Diego. What muffler is that welded to the y-pipe?

GahnRacing

Bonsai Trimmer
Oct 5, 2012
Clovis, CA
So I came across an Explorer today from a friend of mine. It's a 91' 4.0, manual trans, manual transfer case. I want the trans, transfer case, and a couple of little things from the inside. Would anybody be interested in the rest of it? It's currently non op'd and runs. It would be perfect for a 4.0 swap, I just don't want to go through the hassle of BAR to keep my truck smog/street legal and I kind of like the 2.9..
IMG_1210.JPG

mjlogan

space cadet
Feb 9, 2007
ontario ca
So I came across an Explorer today from a friend of mine. It's a 91' 4.0, manual trans, manual transfer case. I want the trans, transfer case, and a couple of little things from the inside. Would anybody be interested in the rest of it? It's currently non op'd and runs. It would be perfect for a 4.0 swap, I just don't want to go through the hassle of BAR to keep my truck smog/street legal and I kind of like the 2.9..
I've had 3 successful smog trips with a 2.9 ranger that had been 4.0 swapped. Buddy has a bronco II with the same story. Make it look factory and don't say a word.

That said I like the 2.9 as well- can pull for at least an extra 1000 RPM over the 4.0 liter and has a powerband like a 2-stroke. In a light truck a 2.9 is definitely more fun to drive.

GahnRacing

Bonsai Trimmer
Oct 5, 2012
Clovis, CA
I've had 3 successful smog trips with a 2.9 ranger that had been 4.0 swapped. Buddy has a bronco II with the same story. Make it look factory and don't say a word.

That said I like the 2.9 as well- can pull for at least an extra 1000 RPM over the 4.0 liter and has a powerband like a 2-stroke. In a light truck a 2.9 is definitely more fun to drive.
So what you're trying to say is, quit being a little bitch and just do the swap. How easy of a swap is it? I would have everything

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds