91 Ranger Rebuild

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Mar 17, 2017
San Marcos, CA
Hey guys, just wanted to share a new project to get ideas and suggestions. I recently bought a 91 ranger, caged front to back, Camburg Beams with Fox coilovers and bumps, x-over steering, deavered rear with swayaways and bumps.
4.0 with after market computer, headers, intake, cams, high pressure oil pump, bigger oil pan
C4 three speed built trans, Kevlar bands, torque converter, art karr shifter, dual tranny coolers.
Build list:
Currently building 8.8 to put back into truck, it had the 7.5 in it and ruined the spiders.
Under axle leaf pack
Dash & Console... basically whole interior needs to be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 17, 2017
San Marcos, CA
If anyone has any info on different 8.8 Trusses or pictures those would be greatly appreciated as well! i know everyone is going to say "just build a 9" but I have an 8.8 that came with the truck and new 4.56 gears. So i am going to attempt to run that as long as possible. I have read about welding the axel tubes to the third with a circumferential bead around it, and that you have to heat the cast... anyone had luck with that? Or any luck making trusses for the 8.8?

cmcollins84

Jul 15, 2011
Corona, CA
I'll try and get you a pic of mine this evening, it's the Desolate Motorsports version. It's incredibly nice and super beefy, you can check it out on their website. Giant makes one too, but I liked the desolate one much better.

Mar 17, 2017
San Marcos, CA
Yeah I'd love to see that pic. I spoke with Giant and Desolate today. It is like $100 difference between that two. Desolate includes good hardware and a fill cap... that's pretty much all i could tell difference wise. But i would like to see how your shock mounts and brackets are on yours. Are you leafed? I had heard that the truss can get in the way of shock mounting possibly... not too sure need to look into it more or build one.

cmcollins84

Jul 15, 2011
Corona, CA
Didn't get a chance to get a pic yet, but I saw both the giant and desolate ones at the leduc swapmeet and I was much more impressed with the desolate one. Morgan Clark did one for a ranger on here, I believe using a ruff stuff diff cover, and it came out awesome. I'm linked now, so I didnt have to worry about shocks but the ranger that Morgan did is leaf sprung. I'll try and find the thread.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds