92 F1 Build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Aug 18, 2008
San Diego, Ca
Well, I guess the time has come to start a build thread for this thing. I have been working at it for the past year roughly with help from my brother and my dad and its finally starting to take shape. This truck is being built to be a family toy and to get us all back out in the dirt. We have always wanted to build a truck but never found the right vehicle and this one kind of fell into our laps for a steal. Ive always had a thing for this body style so it worked out perfectly. This is my first time fabbing and really welding so im definitely still learning but I think im picking it up pretty quickly.

Without further ado, here she is the day we brought her home. 1992 White Extra-Cab F150, 5.8 351w with 350K on her ticker

Wasting no time at all, by dark that night the interior had already started being taken out. Of course we found the usual pens, change, Cheeto crumbs and a shhweeetttt pair of shades

The next day we had some family come over to check out the truck and help take the bed off. What a pain in the ass getting that thing off without dropping the tanks. Thank god it aint going back in! :cool:

That night my younger brother started working on the front end, getting everything ready to get this thing pushed into the garage without a bunch of greasy shit to deal with.

By the weekend we got the entire truck power washed and into its resting place on jack stands to start the tear down

For the suspension, we worked our way front to back just to keep things simple. Started the tear down on the front end and we were on the hunt for some wider beams at this point.

Had to put my 35" paddles up there for reference. Meh, too small. ;)

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2008
San Diego, Ca
Within a few weeks we bought a set of Camburg 4.5" over beams from Taylor (nubreed71) and got them stripped down and gave them a fresh coat of paint

Since we were making the beams look good, decided to put all new errythang on the front end. Bearings, seals, rotors, calipers, pads, balljoints, etc.

Painting up the spindles all nice like in our fancy paint booth ;)

Started to hang the beams and realized that stock beam brackets werent going to do. When we bought the beams, Taylor mentioned that he was using the Autofab brackets so we followed his lead after looking into them

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2008
San Diego, Ca
Things started to slow down after getting the front end together so I started pulling the dash. Originally the plan was to keep the stock dash but after looking at it the thing could move up and down a good 6 inches because alot of the mounting points were broken. It took me a while to get it out but its out for good now. AC and heat were both removed as well. Looks like we are going to be going with a Fiberwerx dash once the time comes.

Not to long after I found a smokin deal on a set of 4 17" Trail ready beadlocks and 37" grabbers. We also got a 37" spare as well thats on a walker rim. All of them already drilled to 5/8's. We planned on going to 5/8's studs anyways so all we had to do was drill the rotors out and picked up the studs and nuts (LOL) from speedway.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2008
San Diego, Ca
After looking at a bunch of different options for links we decided to go with Threat's link kit for this truck. As soon as we got them Dave told us to throw a coat of boiled linseed oil and laquer thinner on them to keep them protected and we did just that!

Getting the uniballs in the links was a breeze

Then came the "fun" part. Started getting the old stuff taken off the rear of the truck. I just love rivets even more after all this... Here's a cool little step by step getting everything off.

Plan is to keep the frame and notch it for bump. Didnt want to chop the rear of the truck off and be stuck with trying to figure out how to get everything squared up on the truck. Im sure we could figure it out but for a first build we wanted to keep things somewhat simple. We also are running the stock rear tank as the main tank to keep it "street legal" and going to have a fuel cell up against the cab. Since the truck came with two tanks it should be pretty easy to just wire up the cell and have the tanks on the original switch on the dash.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2008
San Diego, Ca
Thanks dude! It wouldn't be where its at today without your help. I know I have asked you and Double A ron a shitload of questions but you guys have helped ALOT! Like I said this is the first time I have ever done anything to this extent so I just want to make sure everything is done correct the first time!

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2008
San Diego, Ca
Well, the truck sat again for a bit but little things were done here and there. After about 4 months, the rear end was ordered up from Camburg. 3.50 housing with 2.25 hubs setup for 35 spline axles with wilwood brakes and all the goodies. Ended up picking that up from Carlos and taking it basically straight to Dave over at Threat to get the link mounts put on it. Since we had his link kit we thought it would be the most logical to just have him throw the mounts on the housing for us. I didnt really get any good photos of the rear end out of the truck. We got it back from Dave and I got it under the truck the same day it seems like so all the photos of it are under the truck already.

Once the rear end was back in our possession and it was sitting under the truck, we started hanging the links. I knew how the upper link mount was supposed to sit off the lower link mount hitting the top of the frame rail but the lower I just lined up with the link at what was close to ride height. I think it looks pretty good and I dont see any problems with the way its setup. When we stepped back once we had the links mounted, we all just looked at each other and couldnt stop smiling. Having all the suspension on the truck was a pretty big accomplishment for us and it was cool to see it on 4 wheels again even though it was still on jack stands and our super custom saw horses broooooo.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds