98 Ranger First Build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

socalkid92

Nov 9, 2010
National City, CA
So I guess it's time to start a build thread on my truck since I'm bored at work anyways haha It is a 98 Ranger with a 3.slow. It started like this when I picked it up.

No damage to the motor. All cosmetic. After $600 in registration fees and about $300 in parts I got it running.

I kept it stock for a few months until I got an awesome deal on some new Goodyear Wrangler A/T and some steel rims. I had the tires in my room until I got some doestch 3" lift spindles.

My dad built me a tube bumper.

Then I got a good deal on some Hanneman 3.5" fiberglass fenders and put some 1-1/4" spacers up front.

I left it like this for a while, but the stock gears hated the 33"s and killed my gas like a mofo! So I picked up a 7.5 diff with 4.56 gears and a Detroit locker. Installed it the same day.

A few months went by with no major mods other than an explorer center console, LED lights. And a subwoofer.

Made a quick bed setup the day before I went to the dezert just incase. Spare tire and Harbor Freight dust light haha

Went to the dezert for the first time with my truck and got stuck! Haha

Then had to pull my dad out haha

I then updated the front headlights and grill to 01-03

I always wanted to have a dual stand up spare setup so me and my dad started building one.

Shortly after I picked up some Deaver F23's with camburg shackles, some 16" FOA smooth bodies and about 40' of tube.

My dad decided to give me his 14" 2.5 Fox Tripple Bypasses in exchange of the FOA's since he thought I would get more use out of them. We then started building the bedcage and installing the deavers.

It managed to pull about 16-17" of travel but the driveshaft hit the crossmember? So I have to make a new one and get some limit straps.

This is pretty much as far as I've gone with the truck. Here's my to do list.

-Buy Limit straps
-New transmission cus mine is slipping
-Start saving up for long travel (Maybe Mac's kit if I get enough and he still has it months from now haha)
-4.0 SOHC engine
-Roll Cage
-And tons of other stuff I can't think of right now haha

Things I have laying in my garage to put on the truck!

socalkid92

Nov 9, 2010
National City, CA
Thanks guys! I'm most likely going to be at the ocotillo wells trip in January so I'll have some action pics from there. I'm trying to go sometime this month though. I'm gonna sketched out about jumping it though since I only have lift spindles up front haha

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

socalkid92

Nov 9, 2010
National City, CA
So driving to work this morning my truck felt sluggish and it started to overheat, I barely made it to work. When I got out and turned it on it was shaking a lot. Had very little power and white smoke was coming out of the exhaust. It only shakes when I'm at idle but when I'm like at 2500rpm it stops. People tell me I blew the head gasket. What do you guys think??

Maybe time for a 4.0 SOHC?? ;)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds