Adventure wagon 2.0

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

NODNARB

Mega Member
Aug 18, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga
www.btf-fabrication.com
How'd she do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't think anyone responded on this thread... truck did good! Valving is pretty soft, but washboard and little whoops are super comfortable.

Since I'm not planning on slamming whoops in this thing, I'm going to close off a bleed hole or two and see what that does first. It's a little wallowy on slow speed stuff so we'll see.

I also sold the rear bumper to a guy so now I need to make another one. Lol

Heer-O

Mega Member
Jan 23, 2013
Lake Elsinore / Lakewood
my new panhard bar... . . . . . .
. . . . . Kicked the axle side out as far as possible and dropped the frame side down just a few. Also cut about 3.5 inches off the factory bump pads inside the springs to use the hydro bumps and gain more consistent loading vs getting all fidgety at full bump. And it's on heims and adjustable based on intended load

Last edited:

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
I had this EXACT 4Runner. You've done awesome things with yours thus far! It's making me miss mine like crazy.

Sleeping in the back of a SUV is way better than a tent...

Keep the upgrades coming!

NODNARB

Mega Member
Aug 18, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga
www.btf-fabrication.com
my new panhard bar... . . . . . .
. . . . . Kicked the axle side out as far as possible and dropped the frame side down just a few. Also cut about 3.5 inches off the factory bump pads inside the springs to use the hydro bumps and gain more consistent loading vs getting all fidgety at full bump. And it's on heims and adjustable based on intended load
I need to do a panhard bar for sure, I think I'd rather raise the axle mount if there's clearance for it, that should raise the roll center up a little bit and make for less body roll also. Whether or not I'd actually feel the difference, who knows. Lol

NODNARB

Mega Member
Aug 18, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga
www.btf-fabrication.com
Well, I sold this one about a year or so ago. Still kicking myself for selling it... but, wanted to make a kit for the newer Toyota’s, so here we are with adventure wagon 3.0 hahaha
2004 4runner. Picked it up for $5k 200k Miles,
Mocking up a Longtravel front end now

Heer-O

Mega Member
Jan 23, 2013
Lake Elsinore / Lakewood
You know what you're doing, so the front shouldn't be an issue. Figuring out the rear with keeping the back seat seems to be the issue. But the 4th gen have more room than the 3rd gen so you should be fine

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

NODNARB

Mega Member
Aug 18, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga
www.btf-fabrication.com
You know what you're doing, so the front shouldn't be an issue. Figuring out the rear with keeping the back seat seems to be the issue. But the 4th gen have more room than the 3rd gen so you should be fine

I’m honestly not looking to do anything crazy. I just want this thing back in the road ASAP. It’s got a blown head gasket now, but someone wanted a kit so it forced me to use mine for mock-up. Might as well build two right now... for now I’ve got the rear bolt in kings and old man emu coils which is good for 12” or so. Good enough for my broke ass.

If I do anything else in the rear, none of it can come into the rear area. That’s sleeping quarters for us so no cutting inside.

Heer-O

Mega Member
Jan 23, 2013
Lake Elsinore / Lakewood
Yeah I need to take the shocks off and have em tuned. Just been busy with work and haven't had time. I'm actually looking into having Ryan do a 3 link set up with a long top link. It has a good amount of bump travel (about 8 inches ) not so much on droop (about 4 inches).

But I have no problem going into the cargo area, I just can't give up my back seat. So it comes down to what I'm willing to sacrifice vs what I need to keep.

NODNARB

Mega Member
Aug 18, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga
www.btf-fabrication.com

10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb sack but I think it’ll work. Not rich enough for bypasses but the guy I’m mocking it up for wants the option.
Need to make a few small tweaks to the kit before production to squeeze another inch or so out of it. 14” right now though, which is enough for having fun with.

Do Dah

May 13, 2012
I'm in the same boat. I need more love (travel) in the rear but I can't give up my backseat cuz I like taking my lil critters with me

Deavers and 18" smooth bodies ftw!

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

May 13, 2012
I was pretty surprised how fast I could go after revalving the shocks, installing foam bumps, and increasing the front spring rate. I was only able to cruise through barstow in second gear before that. Last time I was in 4th gear at 4500rpm lol. It was nice and stable... well for an SUV

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Aug 18, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga
www.btf-fabrication.com
You should make a shock tower for those that gets rid of some of the anti-dive.
I just want to make things that are easy to install for people, and run the same thing on my ride to show people. I’d love to get rid of a lot of the anti dive, but I also want people to be able to install these themselves in their driveway. I’m tired of custom work and being broke.

Now, if I was building something for me to actually go fast in... absolutely.

Today's birthdays