Another shitty, white, beamed ranger...

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Mar 23, 2015
San Clemente, CA
Earlier last week I picked up some clean 2.5x14 Fox’s and a set of 350x14 coils. I’ve tried my best to research what coil combos people are running so I could get a basic grasp on what I should start out with but it seems so scattered across the board I’m really not too sure. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
62523763-50E3-4DB9-8031-D5ACA976F781.jpeg

Attachments

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
350/450 is very common on equal length beams. I run 12" 350 over 16" 450.

Depends on a lot of variables though... like shock angle, etc.

For instance: After working on G3 last weekend... I think we will want to lower spring rate on upper spring some. He is also at 350/450. But, he is sitting way too high up.
** His shocks aren't angled back and in as much as mine because he kept heater box shit.

Aug 25, 2018
pomona
nice deal!!
so your title caught my eye..lol also describes mine and alot of others.
as it turns out we're pretty close in building our trucks.
no build thread because i'm not a fab guy, limited tools and off road knowledge, but me reeds goods lol.
it would be weeks between posts at the speed i'm moving.
i also don't want too many pics online of my screw ups, but if i make it out to the d.r thank you trip
everyone can point and laugh!!! as long as they tell me how to fix it.
about my truck.. 97 4.0L with camburg 4.5 beams and engine cage and older camburg radius arms no heims
14" 2.5 saws with 250# 10" over 500# 14" and saw bumpstops 2" it rides so soft. i haven't really ran it hard off road yet,
so not clue if that's right either.

where we're really close in progress is the back. i just got bed cage from another member here.
i just got drop hangers from kartek (shout out to tylor davenport who helped and answered questions)
F31 deavers i got some king 2.5 smooth bodies that should work unless someone tells me otherwise. IMAG1431[1].jpg IMAG1397[1].jpg

Mar 23, 2015
San Clemente, CA
nice deal!!
so your title caught my eye..lol also describes mine and alot of others.
as it turns out we're pretty close in building our trucks.
no build thread because i'm not a fab guy, limited tools and off road knowledge, but me reeds goods lol.
it would be weeks between posts at the speed i'm moving.
i also don't want too many pics online of my screw ups, but if i make it out to the d.r thank you trip
everyone can point and laugh!!! as long as they tell me how to fix it.
about my truck.. 97 4.0L with camburg 4.5 beams and engine cage and older camburg radius arms no heims
14" 2.5 saws with 250# 10" over 500# 14" and saw bumpstops 2" it rides so soft. i haven't really ran it hard off road yet,
so not clue if that's right either.

where we're really close in progress is the back. i just got bed cage from another member here.
i just got drop hangers from kartek (shout out to tylor davenport who helped and answered questions)
F31 deavers i got some king 2.5 smooth bodies that should work unless someone tells me otherwise. View attachment 208825 View attachment 208826
Right on man! Sounds like you’ll have a solid rear end when you’re done! Although we’re on the same page in our rear builds, I haven’t even touched my front end so it’s more than likely you’ll be out in the dirt long before me lol.

Aug 25, 2018
pomona
doubt it, i had the truck since 2003 and this is as far as got......lol
of course i had other shit get in the way.....drag racing, quad racing and a ton of fishing.
never did i think it would go this far....started by looking daystar leveling kits, i'm an idiot.

Aug 25, 2018
pomona
i do have a question and i'm sure you'll know better than me.
prior to all this i had been running stock bumper and drop hitch having all this kinda strengthens
the frame in back is my guess. i needed to raise back a little to go from 31's to 33's, so i got some drop hangers.
by switching to those hangers i lost bumper and hitch.
question is....do you think something needs to be added to strengthen it back up?
maybe weld something between hangers?

i'm pretty sure i'll need straps and stops, so maybe also be welding something above rearend to help out also.

Aug 25, 2018
pomona
i'm not looking to race it but at least be comfortable getting to and exploring baja.
trying to keep bed as intact as possible for ice chests and fishing tackle. now i want to take advantage of all the prerunning
and races around my place down there.

i'm at checkpoint one, most teams pit within half mile of my place.
finally saw my first baja race there two years ago.
i'm hoping to be there in a couple months for next race.

i might be nuts enough to invite whoever wants go....

Mar 23, 2015
San Clemente, CA
@bajadog Yeah all that probably did add a small amount of rigidity between the spring perches but I would think that existing cross member takes the majority of the stress. If you feel like it needs it, you could probably cut it out and cap the end of the frame but for instance, I’m just leaving mine there and building a little bumper off the back. If you’re planning on running hydro bumps it wouldn’t hurt to add a little frame box to the area around them or maybe a cross bar. All that is just what I would consider, personally I’m not planning on adding much other than a rear bumper and bed cage. Also I’m not an experienced truck builder by any means. The majority of my little knowledge was obtained from DR and from my uncle who’s an ex factory ford racer.

Mar 23, 2015
San Clemente, CA
I was supposed to spend all of last weekend in Baja but our car broke the oil pump belt and seized the motor on lap 2 of day 1 so we came home early Sunday morning. It was a bummer that we broke but on the bright side I got to set the pinion angle on my truck and bring my axle home for perches, brakes and truss
D25A233C-EEC3-4CC4-9C8F-835EC37F75DB.jpeg
9D068469-CA5E-4C58-9AF4-51EA73BFDEF4.jpeg

Mar 23, 2015
San Clemente, CA
When I started collecting parts for my truck I got a set of shitty garage fabbed beams that I was not very stoked about but was gonna run em anyways because they’re we’re freee. I ended up grinding off a couple plates and realized how long it would take and time is money so I shit canned the idea and bought these McNeil d44 j beams off a buddy. Yes theyll need some love but I’d rather put my time and money in these bad boys. Now the question is should I give them a quick sand and rattle can them, or get them sand blasted and throw some steel it on them...?
6F009669-EC29-4349-B333-57DC00BE0C0F.jpeg

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds