Basic Valving Theory

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Oct 24, 2006
Corona/Anaheim
PS: searched, couldnt find a thread to post in. People can use this thread to post questions of shock theories and mechanics of damping if they choose...

I have somewhat of a basic understanding of shock tuning, but I am still confused in some basic aspects.

My understanding is that the tire should rebound as fast as it can so it will prevent 'packing' and allow the truck to float through whoops.

What is the reason for restricting rebound, by adding a thicker rebound stack or closing rebound tubes?

half-ass astronaut

no longer a Racer
Sep 24, 2008
El Segundo,CA
The idea to restrict valving is to prevent your tires from being forced into the bottom of the trench or whoop, or the slow down the force pushing the truck up.

Your questions are kind of vague though...

Sent from your moms rancid vagina using Tapatalk

FlatBlack96

Stop looking at me Swan!
Apr 18, 2009
Blossom Valley
the reason for restricting it would be that you have too much to begin with. having the fastest rebound possible isn't what you want, there's a middleground you have to get to make it work right with your truck. the way I understand it too little of rebound and you will pack up and too much is just going to make your truck want to bounce more and usually feel stiffer, you want to have the truck leavin the ground so it has to come back out at the right speed with your springs to drop out, but not propel the truck upwards. does that answer your question?

Oct 24, 2006
Corona/Anaheim
ok so what im getting out of this is, you dont want the tire to droop into the whoop??

and if you have too much rebound (or dont restrict the rebound) then it will actually start pushing up or bucking you???????

btw lets keep the setup as leafsprings

84prerunner

2:AM Fabrication
Feb 7, 2008
Covina CA
the reason you run such little valving in a leaf spring set up is the leafs them selves and the bushings all create friction while they move. that friction is almost enough to not need rebound valving. all setup need something to control both compression and rebound valving.

half-ass astronaut

no longer a Racer
Sep 24, 2008
El Segundo,CA
ok so what im getting out of this is, you dont want the tire to droop into the whoop??

and if you have too much rebound (or dont restrict the rebound) then it will actually start pushing up or bucking you???????

btw lets keep the setup as leafsprings
Ideally you want the tire to kind of skip across the upper region of the whoop, if it drops too far out, or two fast, it can slow your roll.

Watch a dezert people movie or what have you, and look how how the really well built trucks kind of skip across the dirt.

If you dont have enough valving than you lose the whole benefit of damper. Too much and the suspension wont be as effective, essentially your suspension will bottom out over and over(packing)

Sent from your moms rancid vagina using Tapatalk

Oct 24, 2006
Corona/Anaheim
Ok i see now, it was my assumption that you want the tire to droop into the whoop. Ive got a dezert people dvd, i need to pay close attntion during slow mo's

Do leaf spring trucks usually just run the rebound tubes all the way open?

DoWN4GLaMiS

Fastest Guy 4 Half-a-Lap
Nov 3, 2003
Lake Mathews, CA
www.myspace.com
more rebound = slow wheel drop out.

you WANT your wheel to always stay in contact with the ground, which means light rebound, but too much and the truck will feel loose and squirly.

what makes more force, 10s on compression or 10s on rebound?!?! anyone wanna take a guess?

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds