Bent Rebound Tube

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

dalandser

Sep 30, 2017

I'm rebuilding these and I'm not sure if I should try to return the tube to perfectly straight as much as possible or if I run the risk of making it unusable if I make the tube go out of round - I've gotten a tiny bit of bend out of it with a mallet.

How do I

A. test to see if it flows / seals properly or at least opens and closes as it should and

B. if it should be repaired, what's a good method?

Last edited:

dalandser

Sep 30, 2017
Cool thanks for the feedback - I got the bypass valve out and am planning on completely rebuilding these with new coating (steel it) on the body and new seals.

Piston.jpg

I cut off the reservoir mount (I'll smooth it down to the body when I get time) and I'm converting them to remote reservoir since they're going under the bed with a cantilever kit. Going to go to the hydraulics shop tomorrow!

Bent Tube.jpg

Quick question: do the 2 o-rings on the bypass valve need to be replaced typically and if so do are they the small o-rings that come with this kit - I'm not sure if it will have enough for all 3 bypass tubes - it looks like only enough for 2 tubes.

AHD-K25-875RR on this page:

http://shockseals.com/king.htm

One thing though is that the piston rings (that are like engine piston rings I guess on the main piston) look beat up - should I replace them?

Piston Ring.jpg

Last edited:

dalandser

Sep 30, 2017
Thanks - I looked down the cylinder and the walls seemed clean enough from any scratch marks that they should be good to go. I may lightly buff the outside of the wearbands just enough to smooth down any small burrs on the surface. Just ordered the seal kits and got a can of Steel-it yesterday. Looking forward to seeing these things hopefully work as intended once they're all back together!

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
Thanks - I looked down the cylinder and the walls seemed clean enough from any scratch marks that they should be good to go. I may lightly buff the outside of the wearbands just enough to smooth down any small burrs on the surface. Just ordered the seal kits and got a can of Steel-it yesterday. Looking forward to seeing these things hopefully work as intended once they're all back together!
i wouldnt even go that far. either run them or replace them. personally, id just throw new ones on.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds