Betty

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

maxwell279

Expert Member
Jan 2, 2012
Lakeside, CA
www.instagram.com
need to look back... You have Fox bypass right? Can't remember. Are the comp tubes in parallel or series?

Big thing to think about.

If they are parallel.. and you set up the tubes to be the same number of turns, the flow will basically cut in half when you get to second comp tube.

If they are in series, the top tube would have to be twice as many turns in as the bottom tube .... to have the same effect as mentioned above(cutting flow in half). Make sense?

Looks like parallel to me ?

Sorta understand what you are saying.

Thanks for all your input appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Look at all them tubes! You have a lot more tubes than me.... which just means more zones.

So, yes... yours are in parallel. Notice how the blue comp tubes all terminate at the same spot at the bottom. Basically when the piston starts moving(compressing) in the first zone ....at say close to full droop.. you will have 3x tubes flowing oil that is bypassing the piston. Then once the piston passes the top of the shortest tube you will only have 2x tubes flowing. Then once the piston is over the top of the second longest tube.. you will have 1x tube contributing to the flow of oil around piston. Then, once you get past that... well, the oil HAS to flow through the piston. So, only the piston valving matters in that zone. If you plug all your free bleeds(which I personally like to do) .... that upper most zone will become a nice bump stop.

Make sense?

If every tube was turned out say 2x turns.... you in theory get progressively stiffer(in equal magnitudes) in each zone. I would start with something along those lines.. and go from there. *As in pick a number of turns to start with. I'm not saying 2x is the magic number. LOL

The more you jump up in valving between zones... in theory the more harsh the transition would be. Think about it a little. if everything was 2x turns out like mentioned above. The second zone would be "twice as stiff" (use that loosely). BUT.. what if you made second zone only 1x turn out. That would make it jump up in valving more because now the second tube is only flowing "half" as much as the first tube is.. AND the first tube is no longer flowing.

Pay attention though, because in this case, this also affects any zone below it. So with parallel.. closing off ANY tube above the zone you are working on will also affect the zones below it. If you make the top stiffer, you are going to make the bottom zone stiffer too. (unless you change accordingly).

Tubes in series don't work like this. Each tube controls that zone independently.

Do you have any idea how many turns out the tubes are today?

maxwell279

Expert Member
Jan 2, 2012
Lakeside, CA
www.instagram.com
Look at all them tubes! You have a lot more tubes than me.... which just means more zones.

So, yes... yours are in parallel. Notice how the blue comp tubes all terminate at the same spot at the bottom. Basically when the piston starts moving(compressing) in the first zone ....at say close to full droop.. you will have 3x tubes flowing oil that is bypassing the piston. Then once the piston passes the top of the shortest tube you will only have 2x tubes flowing. Then once the piston is over the top of the second longest tube.. you will have 1x tube contributing to the flow of oil around piston. Then, once you get past that... well, the oil HAS to flow through the piston. So, only the piston valving matters in that zone. If you plug all your free bleeds(which I personally like to do) .... that upper most zone will become a nice bump stop.

Make sense?

If every tube was turned out say 2x turns.... you in theory get progressively stiffer(in equal magnitudes) in each zone. I would start with something along those lines.. and go from there. *As in pick a number of turns to start with. I'm not saying 2x is the magic number. LOL

The more you jump up in valving between zones... in theory the more harsh the transition would be. Think about it a little. if everything was 2x turns out like mentioned above. The second zone would be "twice as stiff" (use that loosely). BUT.. what if you made second zone only 1x turn out. That would make it jump up in valving more because now the second tube is only flowing "half" as much as the first tube is.. AND the first tube is no longer flowing.

Pay attention though, because in this case, this also affects any zone below it. So with parallel.. closing off ANY tube above the zone you are working on will also affect the zones below it. If you make the top stiffer, you are going to make the bottom zone stiffer too. (unless you change accordingly).

Tubes in series don't work like this. Each tube controls that zone independently.

Do you have any idea how many turns out the tubes are today?
Great explanation Aaron, I feel much more educated now . Thank you !

As for where they are at now they have marks on them but I honestly am not sure where they are at currently.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
I realized i made a mistake with a statement up there. Because he has 3x comp tubes... what I said about second zone being "twice is stiff" is wrong.

In this case, because he has 3x comp tubes ... In the second zone, you will lose the flow of 1x of the 3x tubes. So, second zone would be 33% more stiff if all tubes had same bypass tube settings??

I dunno.. fuck the math part of it. Those are just rough approximates...and simplified. There is more to it because if you get enough piston speed/oil flow and depending on tube settings ... oil can still get forced through the piston in any of those zones.

Just use your noodle and adjust it to what your butt feels in the seat. LOL

Last edited:

maxwell279

Expert Member
Jan 2, 2012
Lakeside, CA
www.instagram.com
I realized i made a mistake with a statement up there. Because he has 3x comp tubes... what I said about second zone being "twice is stiff" is wrong.

In this case, because he has 3x comp tubes ... In the second zone, you will lose the flow of 1x of the 3x tubes. So, second zone would be 33% more stiff if all tubes had same bypass tube settings??

I dunno.. fuck the math part of it. Those are just rough approximates...and simplified. There is more to it because if you get enough piston speed/oil flow and depending on tube settings ... oil can still get forced through the piston in any of those zones.

Just use your noodle and adjust it to what your butt feels in the seat. LOL
Makes sense will report back with results

maxwell279

Expert Member
Jan 2, 2012
Lakeside, CA
www.instagram.com

Took Betty out to the river and did a day trip from there (Yuma) to Gordon’s wells and then Glamis all in the dirt. Ran out of fuel on the way back. Broke two tow straps . Got stuck a bunch Made it to the hill through the dunes. Blew a tire to smithereens. And had a bad ass time. Very well spent thanksgiving weekend!

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds