Bronco Sin Nombre!

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
Now that I'm back at work after my time off, I'm bored so heres an update...

Days from last update: 20
Hours worked on Bronco Sin Nombre: 3...

Took some time off for family time over the holidays. Went to Phoenix with my entire immediate family plus extras, then drove to Vegas to visit more family on the way back. Was gone about a week. Worked out a deal to get me a full uninterrupted day of working on the bronco, only to get a call from my sister, desperately trying to find an "indiana jones type vehicle" for a music video she was shooting the next day... So bronco day never came. Instead I tracked down a vehicle, got it cleaned up and loaded, drove it out to Cook's Corner and drove it around the area for a few hours. Was actually a fun day, and even cool having my wife and son around as they don't really get to see me work. I mostly just coordinated logistics and consulted on everything pertaining to the vehicle. Neither the band nor production team has ever really done anything with a vehicle of this caliber. So a lot of the planned shots were boring. I fixed that. Ill post the video when its done (I'm not editing it) but i may do a quick edit from just the car footage.

IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_8393.JPG

IMG_4384.JPG

IMG_4769.JPG

IMG_1897.JPG

IMG_8417.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

This past weekend my wife went back to work so I was home with the boy. He napped, I went outside to work on the bronco. Starting tearing down the front clip to make it easier to work on the motor/suspension. I also started to mock up the fender supports that Travis (travisfab) made, which I got from Travis (s00tlyfe), as well as the cowl hood I got from Travis (tchajagos). Still got a lot of work to do on it but its all coming off again so I can finish the motor/suspension work. I also sent approval for the shock mounts to get cut.

IMG_5291.JPG

IMG_4431.JPG

IMG_7649.JPG

IMG_3177.JPG

IMG_3848.JPG

IMG_8708.JPG

IMG_9224.JPG

IMG_6611.JPG

IMG_9679.JPG

Last night after work I had the house to myself for an hour or so, so I went to the garage and made up some nut plates for the hood. I was first going to get all crazy with these but no one will ever see them....

Garage time: 1 hour
Music: Sabaton (if you like metal and/or history and don't know these guys, do yourself a favor and give a listen)
Beverages Consumed: 1 RoadRaper of water (i know, but i wasn't feeling well)
Expletives Yelled: 1 long quiet "mother fucker" from realizing an obvious oversight...
Tools Used: Horizontal Band Saw, Drill Press, Belt Sander, Ratchet and 10mm socket (yes, i still have one, ONE), Milwaukee Marker, and Combo Square
Attire: Same work clothes/shoes I wore to the office, with on old General Tire hoodie.

Easy Peasy. 2" strap. 2 holes drilled at 6" spread, kissed the corners on the belt sander, reused the nut clips from the stock hood (had to notch the piece a bit for these to fit, insert "mooother fuuucker") DONE. didn't even paint. Though i will when i pull it back apart. Didn't turn out half bad actually.

IMG_8512.JPG

Oh, and my prop valve and front brake lines showed up.

IMG_6961.JPG

Attachments

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
Had 2 (ish) days to work on the bronco this past weekend. Here is my report:

Day 1 (Sunday)

Time: About 5 hours between 3 of my sons naps
Music: soft creek sounds and 11m/o baby cooing
Beverages: Water, Blue Gatorade, and some IPA's my neighbor brought over at just the right time
Expletives Yelled: MANY...
Tools used: Basic hand tools, Ratchet and sockets, home made penetrating oil (Acetone/ATF mix)

While waiting for parts to arrive, and funds to accumulate I got the itch to start to really tear into the motor/bay... This includes ditching the smog pump and components, long tube headers/EGR delete, new radiator/shroud/fans, new water pump/Tstat/housing/hoses, factory oil cooler delete, cruise control delete, 4WABS delete, install new coolant and windshield washer reservoirs, replace leaky AC accumulator and r&r AC system, re-plumb UMP, clean/fix existing wiring and vacuum lines, anything else I find.

Sunday starts like a pretty easy day, pulling parts off, nothing too exciting or alarming. worst thing i noticed was a rusty/crumbly steam port outlet on the throttle body. Once i realized I had to remove the PS/AC bracket, I ordered my Saginaw PS pump conversion. But I knew this was the calm before the storm, the water pump bolts... Knowing they were notorious for breaking, I have been dousing with penetrating oil for months. Got them all out pretty easy except 2. More oil, and add some heat, I was able to get the left one loose but then it starts spinning... looking closely it seemed its not threaded into the block anymore, just dunked up inside the bore. So i moved on to the one on the right, same heat and more oil applied, bolt starts to budge (woo!) then SNAP! Insert expletives here.

Was hoping it wouldn't happen, but knew it would. I have some bad ass stud extractors if it snaps outside the block. Well luckily it did, just behind the water pump. The left bolt was gunned up so bad I had to use a pry bar to pry it out. luckily i had already bought all new bolts for the water pump so i don't need to worry about cleaning these ones up. Once the water pump is off I use the stud extractor on the broken bolt. After a few attempts I get a good bite on it where I can actually get leverage on it. Heat/Oil... SNAP! Insert many more expletives. Now the Timing cover has to come off.. This is where I decided it was time to clean up for the day as it was towards the end of my boys 3rd and last nap for the day and I wasn't going to get anywhere fast with the broken bolt.

That night I was chatting with Travis over the fiasco he had with his timing cover and water pump. The plan of attack snowballed: lift motor enough to pull oil pan, new deep pan, new oil pump, new motor mounts, new balancer. which also started to snowball even more into cam, lifters, springs, timing, intake, etc... Not happening... So the timing cover is coming off, bolt is being extracted, timing cover going back on with new seals. Done and Done! I even already have the seals from the felpro gasket kit i bought for the water pump! I still plan on the snowballed motor work, but on a separate block down the road.

Didn't really take much pics

IMG_2906.JPG

IMG_9170.JPG

IMG_9143.JPG

This brings me to some questions:

1) Replace or Re-use the Harmonic balancer? (as long as it passes visual) Ive never actually replaced one, always reused, don't know if thats "correct"
2) Can I throw the charcoal canister in the trash?
3) what about the solenoid on the line that goes from the Throttle body to the canister?
In all honesty, i just hate that solenoid dangling and its more of a visual aesthetics thing for me. Ill probably just make a longer line for it and mount it somewhere as cleanly as i can get.
4) besides "tune-up" parts, what else should i be looking at without going crazy? I plan on doing plugs/wires, cap/rotor.

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds