Bronco Without A Name

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Seal Beach, CA
Long story short, I picked up this Bronco back in February, the same time my son was born. So progress has been slow, specially in the beginning so bear with me, but starting to get somewhere with it. The first couple posts won't exactly be in chronological order as I bounced around from one task to another depending on how much time I had to work on it. Im organizing by task/project till I get to present day, then I will probably post as things get done. On with the show!

Here are the pics from the ad:

IMG_5199.JPG

IMG_5499.JPG

IMG_6957.JPG

1994 Ford Bronco 5.8L with 127xxx miles. Fiberglass all around with stock beams and 4-6" lift with extended radius arms and pro comp shocks. 4.56 gears front and back. Twisted Stitch seats, method double standards and 35" grabbers. Tube bumper with valence and of course, a 50" light bar on the roof. Also had some train horns and compressor, kickass autozons cone filters on factory intake tubes, and a sweet Plasti-Dip paint job. Unfortunately it wasn't as clean (to be expected) when I brought it home and started tearing into it, but it was a trade deal and still worth it. And here she is the morning after I brought her home.

IMG_0806.JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

IMG_4470.JPG

IMG_9131.JPG

I kept my method beadlocks in the trade and threw those on before loading it on the trailer. At this point i knew the interior needed a deep cleaning, and the seats needed to be re-mounted in a better position. and both windows will roll down but not up. Which is the first thing I fixed, just needed to replace the bushings in the motor (no pics). At that time I also replaced the window weatherstripping. And since i had a newborn I continued with quick and easy (and cheap) projects, as well as just going through figuring out the plan of attack.

New LED headlight bulbs (on the left, halogen on the right) I also did LED's for all the bulbs I could

IMG_1007.JPG

Then I was getting tired of the Wal-Mart telescoping hood prop, so I picked up some gas props and mounts

IMG_1709.JPG

Then I started redoing the seat mount to have a better seat position and strength so they don't wiggle around, as well as adding a tilt mount to the passenger side. I decided I should probably remove the carpet and clean it at this time. I also swapped out the Twisted Stitch seats for my Beard TS1's Ive been holding on to.

IMG_4545.JPG

IMG_7732.JPG

IMG_7216.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_3919.JPG

IMG_7529.JPG

IMG_3189.JPG

IMG_5482.JPG

IMG_4155.JPG

IMG_2063.JPG

IMG_5474.JPG

While doing the seats, I also started on the center console. I decided I wanted to go with an OEM look to the interior, so I picked up an Expedition console (05-06 i think) and made a mount for a double din radio I had laying around. Will have cameras installed in front and rear. Under the console will be a 4ch amp and an 8" sub. the sub will take away most of the storage from the console, but I wouldn't want a lot in there anyway. The amp will power the front speakers and the sub, while the rear speakers are powered by the radio. I will then put my Kenwood TK-730 in the factory radio slot and my Rugged Intercom in the cubby by the steering wheel along with a rocker switch. I drew up the intercom mount and had a buddy cut it out for me. I also picked up a SwitchPros knock-off that fits perfectly next to the 4x4 switches. Along the way I noticed that the horn wasn't functioning, narrowed it down to a bad clock spring. Not wanting to spend the ridiculous amount of money for a new one, and getting tired of getting in and out around the steering wheel, I opted for a quick release and a suede steering wheel from MPI. I also have been cleaning and replacing/fixing broken interior pieces like the dash pad, ac vents, trim pieces, etc. As well as removing the amazing wiring the PO left behind. So much better.

IMG_0800.JPG

IMG_5247.JPG

IMG_8272.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_5456.JPG

IMG_0825 2.JPG

And a little carbon fiber wrap to help

IMG_5426.JPG

IMG_7459.jpg

IMG_2118.JPG

IMG_1313.JPG

IMG_6875.JPG

IMG_8760.JPG
IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_5865.JPG

IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_0846.JPG

Almost finished with the cockpit. Still need to finish wiring and cleaning it up, but you get the idea. Oh that reminds me, I still need to install my Desolate dash brace. During all this work I was working out what I wanted to do for suspension. Originally, I wanted to do stock width, but found a great deal on 4.5 over beams and I already had the fiberglass. So i picked up the beams/radius arms along with extended axles, extended tie rod adjusters, a trussed 9", deavers, solo engine cage, factory beam brackets (since mine were missing due to the lift) and misc pieces from a guy parting out a bronco. Then I went on a part collecting spree... Picked up Solo shackles and hanger drop and Desolate radius arm brackets. Then came the shocks, SAW 2.5 x 14 coilovers, King 2.5 x 12 Bypasses and old school SAW 4.0 Internal Bypass Coilovers. Plan is to run the 2.5's up front and run the 4.0's in the rear as just bypasses. Traded the Seats that came in the bronco for a Solo underbed shock mount and a sweet keychain. My wife took my son to the river since she had a week off and since I wasn't heading out till the weekend, I pulled the bronco in to install the new suspension. Nothing went as planned... Took the leafs to Deaver and found out they were not only Nationals, but once torn apart, they suggested not to run them at all, so a set of new Q80's it is. Then I found out the PO welded the beam brackets to the frame.... After I tore it apart, I noticed the 4.56 gears were actually 3.53's... The shock mounts on the beams were not ideal either. So i drove the bronco into the garage Wednesday after work, and back out after work on Friday. No front axles or third member, no front brakes, and towed out like a mother (one adjuster was twice as long as it needed to be...) , but under its own power.

IMG_1446.JPG

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_1628.JPG

IMG_4262.JPG

IMG_5623.JPG

IMG_0954.JPG

IMG_4308.JPG

IMG_7143.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Seal Beach, CA
As I dug into the Bronco, I noticed more and more issues. The PO couldn't find a place to mount the train horns, he searched and searched but nothing worked. Alas, he found a solution, DITCH THE COOLANT RESERVOIR AND CAP THE OVERFLOW LINE TO THE RADIATOR! Thats the obvious thing to do, right?

IMG_5670.JPG

Shortly after this, I noticed the radiator is low, topped her off, and it leaked out the side tank, hmmm wonder what happened here... SO new aluminum radiator with electric fans and shroud, new water pump, new t-stat, as well as new hoses and I'm ditching the oil heater/cooler deal that also seems to have a leak. I also picked up 2 trick fluid reservoirs, one will be for coolant, the other for washer fluid. Just need to get the caps engraved so i don't confuse the two, as well as an UMP filter and a MAF intake (without the MAF itself) and a 4" to 3" reducer.

IMG_5555.JPG

IMG_8749.JPG

IMG_8826.JPG

IMG_2981.JPG

IMG_4336.JPG

So thats where Im at. I also picked up a smog pump delete kit as well as headers/y-pipe so I can eliminate all the smog crap, after all I have it registered to Arizona.

IMG_4009.JPG

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Seal Beach, CA
as the diffs are 3.53's I have the 9" being set up with 4.56's and a Detroit and the fronts will get 4.56's as well, with a factory Trac Lok. Heres the list of whats to come:

- Finish interior
- Weld new coilover mounts to beams.
- Tear down front end for ball joints, bearings, paint, etc.
- remove ABS Pump and plumb new Proportion valve
- Rebuild and revalve all shocks.
- Install Rear suspension components
- Install new cooling system/oil change
- Remove all smog equipment and install new exhaust
- Fab Inner fender/core support/fiberglass fender/hood mounts and mounts for under hood wiring/acc
- Fab bumper supports/Skidplate/Push bar/light mounts
- Fab Rear Bumper
- ROLL CAGE
- Anything else I forgot

Last edited:

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Seal Beach, CA
haha thanks! having the kiddo keeps progress slow only can work on it during his naps when Im home with him really. And I can't just leave it on jack stands in the garage since my wife needs to park in there every night... Any dads out there that can tell me when the "I made you a baby" bus leaves town? lol.

I am getting an awning on the side of the house so ill be installing some outlets and hanging some lights, build a gate and Ill be good to go to tear her down on the side of the house and not be an eyesore to the neighborhood. Damn, I sound so old. Oh to be young again, no bills or responsibilities DGAFing on what the neighbors think or say, but also have money.

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
I just don't let the wife park in the garage. I had twins (10 now) and was building the 4runner at the same time. Put down for nap... BUild. Feed and mom comes home then some late night work time. Plan weekends for work. I like to hang with the kids so my weekends were pretty full of zoo, park trips and stuff.

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Seal Beach, CA
I honestly don't want my wife parking outside, her car is the newest and prettiest of the bunch, and most expenzsivest lol. I am trying to push her into a tahoe or something else that won't fit in the garage anymore though. We also looked at buying a new house and I put my foot down on getting a three car garage or a shop space. We ultimately decided to stay and I'm building the "shop" on the side of the house. Ill be fine once that happens.

I literally only work on this thing when Im alone or my son is napping. My wife and i both wake up early so late nights in the garage are rare. When the 3 of us are home we are always doing something and just enjoying being a family, thats important to us and everyone tells us it goes by too fast. Cant believe the little guy is already 9 months. Loves cars and trucks already.

IMG_2131.JPG

IMG_6075.JPG

IMG_2326.JPG

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Ha. My wife drove a new car also. Too bad. 1956 merc in 1 million pieces in one spot and a 1988 Toyota in the other. I told her to Park your brand new SUV out on the street. HA.

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Seal Beach, CA

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds