charlie browns motor swap

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
ok i have started this motor swap from a 2.9 88 ranger to a 4.0 sohc from a 01 sport trac.
i have posted several question on here in different places but i thought i just start a project thread and try (try) to keep it all in one spot. i may have to post some things else where to get more views on what i need, so don’t dog me, you been warned.

the old motor and trans are out and sold, i bought a 01 sport trac that rolled and was able to strip everything i thought i would need off of it.
just got the pump and steering box back from tommy Lee.

right now i am working on the computer. after talking to steve at powertrains, he suggested for me to get a year older computer because he can do more tuning with it and he can turn off the pats system.
he gave me some codes to go look for but i cant find them anywhere.
he gave me EBXO or a EBX1. he said they should be for a 2000 ranger/explorer with a auto.
my current computer is a TTY2.
i have been searching online and at a few parts store with no luck.
any help?
:D

Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
bumper1.jpg truckgarage.JPG DSCI0277.jpg r-side radius.jpg right cage.JPG 1 rear.JPG close front 3-09.jpg driverside 4-05.JPG new front uncoated L arm.jpg center concel 7-09.jpg baja SF 06.jpg p7100009.JPG frame mt.jpg DSCI0084.jpg dash 2.jpg DSCI0338.JPG DSCI0100.jpg D44.jpg NF uncoated 2nd tranny MT 3-09.jpg DSCI0042.jpg oh since i am making this some what a build thread, here are some pictures and some back ground of the truck.

i bought this truck new in 88. had it special order it the way i wanted it from dick landfield, Fairview ford (owner of the dave ashly TT team in the day).
picked it up the day micky thomas died. i remember talking to dick and dave that day.

had the truck for 2 weeks before it went on jack stands for the first of many builds.
it has been built and rebuilt several times since.
the truck spends most of its offroading time in baja. i do take it to the local races at times but, i just cruise around and watch in the states. its to dangerous. i hit 2 kids on a 3 wheeler (shows how long ago) in barstow, thats why.
as i have looked back on all the builds i have always kept one thing in mind. keep it street legal and comfortable. ok that’s 2. this truck has out lasted many girl friends, a marriage/divorce, birth of my daughter (who is driving this truck now at times) and many other things that life throws at you. A lot of friends have helped me work on my truck from the projects in the garage to some field repairs/advice.
that’s why it is time for a new motor. so if you can help with some question from time to time, great.

Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
the truck currently has a threat equal length beams (the shortest he made) and steering. its about 5 1/2 inches wider.
friends and myself made the radius arms and mounts. i am a big fan of having them be like a center mount under the trans.
strapped at about 19 or 20?

the rear is a plank/SI/new line 4 link. funny story with that. i was getting ready to make my own and went to the san felipe race. in the kings shock booth, they had this laying there. i asked about it and they told me that Larry just wanted them to show it. on monday morning i was at planks shop putting my deposit on one. he was still working on the first truck that he was mocking it up on (dry wall ranger guy?) i took mine to donahoes shop (i had a friend that was renting space there) and we were putting it together over there. someone walking through the shop saw it and called plank and told him that kreg was copying it. started a big feud. anyways, plank rear is still there, never had a problem with it. close to the first one on the road or dirt. strapped at 28"
i tried to powder coat everything i could or cad/zinc plate.

Anybody can help me with the computer codes? I will try to call steve at powertrains but he is hard to get ahold of.

Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
sorry for the long post. bottom line right now ineed some help with the computer codes and with the gate shifter for the 5r55e 5 speed auto. been told i may need to make a new top shifter plate. anybody done this yet?

aiiraciing

***FAILURE***
Feb 5, 2003
Lake Forest
Can you post pics of how your roof rack is mounted

Also, someone told me that you're running a gates shifter and that stock trans, is that the case?
I've heard its possible, but can't find a single person that has done it.

Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
Can you post pics of how your roof rack is mounted

truck is over at a shop now and i don’t think i have any close ups of the roof rack.
what i did when i was rebuilding the cab cage is i cut some holes in the roof next to the cage. i made some tabs to slide down through the roof and welded them to the cage. patch the roof with some sheet metal.
i also drilled some holes in the tabs just before they weld to the cage so i could hang stuff on them umm like a coat hanger ( for the chicks).
you could probably lift the truck up off those tabs and they are very universal to mount a rack to or a light rack or what ever.

the roof rack it's self is a very thin wall light weight rack with a very low profile so i can make it under my garage door. it was mainly made to carry camp gear/cloths bags. i like to go out and do exploring at old ghost towns, death valley and baja surf trips. Oh, and I made a little spot in the center of the rack to allow the antenna throw.

ah the trans question. well my truck is a 88 and had the A4LD trans. this was one of fords first electronic trans. with this trans, you can select what gear you want and as long you are not way out of range, it goes. i have the art carr or winters (cant remember) 4 speed shifter plate and DOM (dominic Picone) made the linkage. the trans does have some work in it but it was 20 years ago and my brain cant remember what or who. LOL
i sold the trans to some one on here.
there a great trans. one thing i was always told by the "old timers" about it was to run them as cold as possible and only ONLY run type F or FA. f"" that mercon crap.
Until a few weeks ago, the motor and trans have never been out of the truck or apart. Never had a oil leak. For what it was, I gatta say it kick ass. Trent was with me the last 2 baja trips and it kept up with much more power plants.

Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
P070610123853[1].jpeg P070610123735[1].jpeg thanks, i wish i could make it more quite inside. i found 2 cracks in the fire wall after pulling the motor that i am welding up. i wonder if that was making us a little fatigue and or headaches. there not very big.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds