Circlip position in Uniball for UCA

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

96f-u250

Sep 27, 2013
VenTurA 805!
I am about to start making some upper control arms for a 05 F150 4x4. The upper arm is going to be using a 1” uniball bolted vertically (bolt vertical) to the upright. The arms will not be interchangeable. So which side should the circlip be on the Uniball? Top or bottom? Its hard to imagine where the force will be going and if this matters. I looked at Camburgs and True Travel Dynamics and it looks like the circlip is on the bottom, or upright side but its hard to tell. Thank you.

Klever

Aug 21, 2008
Snap ring goes on bottom if the uniball is mounted horizontal. If vertical I would put the snap ring facing the rear of the truck.

Klever

Aug 21, 2008
No problemo man. The uniball is technically made to run horizontally (strength in surface area). Many people run them vertically with short arms to get the misalignment for travel (unlimited, this would limit steering angle because of misalignment. Both will work fine.

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
The uniball is technically made to run horizontally (strength in surface area).
Made to run horizontally? No.... spherical bearings ("uniballs") are waaay stronger loaded radially than axially. Suspension applications where the bolt is horizontal are stronger with respect to the bearing, but there's plenty of reasons to not do it that way on a truck.
Yes, they work both directions, and yes you should put the retaining ring on the upright-side in my opinion as well.

reference: check out any spherical bearing distributor's catalog pages. They all quote the radial load allowable and often won't even bother posting the axial rating.
Here's FK's page as an example: https://www.fkrodends.com/products/spherical-bearings/commercial-series/com/

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
Axial load rating is only 10% of the radial loading. Also the suspension cycles much more than the steering. Every time the misalignment spacer cycles into the race it will take crap with it increasing wear.

To sum it up, horizontal mount is dumb for the lower. The upper where it only see's braking forces it's a toss up. It will still wear faster though.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds