Coil preload question

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

NODNARB

Mega Member
Aug 18, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga
www.btf-fabrication.com
This is really simple but I’m at a loss myself...
If you add preload on a coilover, does the coil at ride height actually change height or does it simply extend the shock more? Some dude brought it up and I flat can’t answer confidently. I know the coil is going to be shorter, but once it’s taken up the weight of the truck and is holding it up... at ride height is it just pushing the shock further out?

Welcome to remedial shock basics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 19, 2010
Woodland Hills, Ca
Probably not the best person to answer this question, but i think it depends on spring rate and shock /spring lengths.

If the shock is small, heavy coil spring, and so preloaded its already at full negative, it has no where left to go anyway. just a thought, not an expert on the subject.

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
Yes spring length should be the same or very very close to the same. Basically top retainer to bottom length stays the same you just move the top nut down on body essentially making shock longer at ride height. Only time i would think the spring would change length slightly is because shock angle would change a bit.

Jan 19, 2010
Woodland Hills, Ca
^^^

I think i better understand the question now, correct me if im wrong anyone. Ive been thinking about this for several minutes now lol.

The truck didnt change weight
the spring rate stayed the same and is linear
when you compress the coil, it forces the shock to push against the ground ( extend the shock )
the ground aint moving, the result is the ground pushing back on the truck ( lift )
assuming there is available downward wheel travel spring should stay same length.

NODNARB

Mega Member
Aug 18, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga
www.btf-fabrication.com
^^^

I think i better understand the question now, correct me if im wrong anyone. Ive been thinking about this for several minutes now lol.

The truck didnt change weight
the spring rate stayed the same and is linear
when you compress the coil, it forces the shock to push against the ground ( extend the shock )
the ground aint moving, the result is the ground pushing back on the truck ( lift )
assuming there is available downward wheel travel spring should stay same length.
Yeah, that’s exactly the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
Yep, your springs would only change length if something got lighter or heavier.

or they take a set over time, or they get really hot, or some other nerdy concepts that aren't relevant.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds