Dezert or bust. 87 Single cab Yota rehab.

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Jan 19, 2010
Woodland Hills, Ca
dash is nearing completion. final fitment, sand/seal, misc small trim. move on to other aspects of the truck.

I had fun with this project, however it is unconventional ghetto fab in the end. Lots could have been done differently but F#@% it, off road truck.

Non evasive, cheap, and functional for now. Rolling with it. Can be easily removed and swapped for fiberglass in the future if needed.

total cost: $11

fullsizeoutput_702.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_701.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_702.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_701.jpeg

Brakes, rear axle, and paint next.

Thinking of getting a meatball

Had some fun with illustrator.

raceyota.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Woodland Hills, Ca
Those sr5 pods hard to find, for cheap at least. Montero suv had a similar inclinometer etc. my be able to find one of those units easier/cheaper.

About to break down and build a Nitrogen fill station and rent a tank of air to fill these shocks. 4wp wants $70 bucks or so to fill two shocks. by the time i get around to the fronts, might as well end up with the tool afterwards.

priced out fill kit is ~ $100 before a purchased or rented tank.

- Uniweld RPH400 nitrogen regulator $60.00
- Uniweld 40045 Air Chuck $15.61
- Uniweld H5SMBY Soft Magic Barrier Charging and Vacuum Hose $25.10

are the screw down shock fill adapters really necessary?
seems like you could dial the main hose regulator from the bottle and double check with a semi truck tire gauge.

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Those sr5 pods hard to find, for cheap at least. Montero suv had a similar inclinometer etc. my be able to find one of those units easier/cheaper.

About to break down and build a Nitrogen fill station and rent a tank of air to fill these shocks. 4wp wants $70 bucks or so to fill two shocks. by the time i get around to the fronts, might as well end up with the tool afterwards.

priced out fill kit is ~ $100 before a purchased or rented tank.

- Uniweld RPH400 nitrogen regulator $60.00
- Uniweld 40045 Air Chuck $15.61
- Uniweld H5SMBY Soft Magic Barrier Charging and Vacuum Hose $25.10

are the screw down shock fill adapters really necessary?
seems like you could dial the main hose regulator from the bottle and double check with a semi truck tire gauge.
You really need the zero loss chuck to do it right. The volume is so small in the shocks, just the tiny bit that escapes when you check it changes the pressure a lot.

I built a setup similar to what you are describing, just used amazon parts to make the filling manifold. I hate not being self sufficient.

I up the road a little bit in Ventura, I will fill them for you.

bri_man57

Need to Build
Jul 11, 2005
Ventura, California
That's funny, I'm in ventura too and would fill your shocks lol.

I have near the exact same setup you are thinking of doing, works good. I just set the pressure on the regulator, juice the shock until I can hear it equalize (no nitrogen flowing), and call it good. Don't even have a way of checking it. I think it's accurate enough for what I'm going for. I might spring for the zero loss setup in the future, does look pretty trick.

I say get your own setup if you plan to keep the truck, even if for a little. 1 bottle will last you forever and you never have to think about it. It's way better lol.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

Jan 19, 2010
Woodland Hills, Ca
The volume is so small in the shocks, just the tiny bit that escapes when you check it changes the pressure a lot.

I up the road a little bit in Ventura, I will fill them for you.
seems logical. And thanks for chiming in both you guys offer to help out. super cool. If either you or @bri_man57 got the resources and time available, ill make the drive out. would give me a chance to scope the builds too.

Happy to pay/beer/both. worth the trek to get em filled and not have to drop em off and wait else where.

That's funny, I'm in ventura too and would fill your shocks lol.

I say get your own setup if you plan to keep the truck, even if for a little. 1 bottle will last you forever and you never have to think about it. It's way better lol.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
agreed on owning a full nitro setup. That is the way to go for sure, i can put this purchase on the back burner for now if a quick fill is available.

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
I never had a tank to fill shocks and it was always a bitch so I just never checked them.

Bought a tank, regulator, and no loss chuck a couple years ago and have been using the hell out of it. It’s one of those things like a flat bed trailer, when your friends find out you have one, everyone asks to use it lol. I don’t mind though. Nice to have on hand to play with pressures and see the affects on valving, specially with resi’s that
come out the top of the shock

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds