Dezert or bust. 87 Single cab Yota rehab.

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Jan 19, 2010
Woodland Hills, Ca
So went to pull the old idler off the centerlink in the garage and thing was on there good.

Im using a balljoint separator that is an awesome tool if you guys dont have one. no more hammering and messing up threads.
However this connection was nice an seized with the cup shape holding water.

Put this separator under what i would consider a dangerous amount of tension. 2' breaker bar putting body weight into it.
Decided to spray it and walk away. about 30 seconds after i leave the garage i hear a loud metal snapping noise with the sound of tools flying around the garage. YEEE. got it. good thing i walked away when i did.

everything scattered like 3 feet apart. not to mention i had a gang of sockets sitting next to it that are non existent. Safety first. geesh.
reminder. remove on truck.

aftermath
IMG_3656.JPG

Jan 19, 2010
Woodland Hills, Ca
i would regularly use fork and sledge hammer to do this type of stuff, gets the job done but creams the joints, asuming you dont want to kill them, and typically get those hammer happy swings that end up hitting the wrong thing. this tool works quite well but ive never used it off a vehicle before. would have been a chore using the fork since it was staticly sitting on the ground.

job should have been done on the truck, or in the vise i dont own yet... saw it sitting around and wanted to disassemble and micrometer check the shaft and throw out the old link. really glad im not hurt.

Jan 19, 2010
Woodland Hills, Ca
Still waiting for a 5/8 cobalt bit with a 3/8 reduced shank to complete this steering. too bad its ~$30 something bucks and i own two of them. 150 miles away in anza...

cleaned up these tie rods and got some new bling (grade 8 bolts and nylocs), should look ligit when installed. :p
IMG_3878.JPG

Jan 19, 2010
Woodland Hills, Ca
steady wind yes, but not too bad overall. camp stayed intact which was good.

There were two xj jeeps in the group and both left the dezert broke.

grey one in the photo went full burro and ripped out the steering box, smashed the trans cooler lines, and ruptured the coolant system.

second xj somehow bent the crank pulley and snapped the serpentine belt. left via AAA.

white box chevy tweaked the passenger coil bucket high speed run down poleline rd.

good times.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds