Dezert or bust. 87 Single cab Yota rehab.

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Jan 19, 2010
Woodland Hills CA
some better shots of those AR23 wheels. Freakin Ferrari Toyota lol ( i wish ). Progress is still coming along but been occupied with work and such lately.

Rebuilt the carb now 3 times and runs great. but hates to idle properly when warm. choke circuit appears functional. i think its the jetting or clogged passages. thing spits gas instead of spraying it.

also noticed this carb has a shop sticker on it, was previously opened up and rebuilt by someone. literally had sand in it when i first opened it up to clean. so after a few attempts i decided to get a new china one for like $80 bucks see if its any good. waiting for it in the mail, ill triple check vaccuum lines for leaks too. will post updates on it in a few days.

IMG_3113.JPG
IMG_3114.JPG

Jan 19, 2010
Woodland Hills CA
Also been waiting on cutting the rear quarters for the bedsides before paint to make sure i like the angle. once their cut thats pretty much it. un molested fenders at this point. i got one solid attempt at this.

After looking at it for a few days now, not sure i like it, any suggestions out there? angle too shallow? taking too much off? i know it aint rocket science but dont want to just say fuck it and be bummed with the result either. Thanks all.

Jan 19, 2010
Woodland Hills CA
Triple post. lol.

noticed i had little to no shots of the inside of the truck and cage work, also just washed and stuck the old harnesses back in. these things are way old.

dash is a work in progress. might go with a stained wood trim dash, kinda like a boat lol. we will see. threw a piece of scrap hardwood up as a block to get the vibe goin.
IMG_3117.JPG
IMG_3119.JPG
IMG_3120.JPG
IMG_3121.JPG
IMG_3122.JPG

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Here's how mine looked. Same bedsides. 15x7" wheels, 32x11.5" tires, 2" wheel spacers in the back, and trimmed the extra off the bedside

And here you can see how it's filled out with the wheel spacers. They're fine for the back of a basic leaf sprung truck (as long as you buy some lug nuts haha)

Jan 19, 2010
Woodland Hills CA
Thanks for the reference photos Bodj, sick yota too. chaos kit? i dig the lemans style blue and that you got use of the bed too for dez trips. and ya i def need the rest of those lug nuts on lol. the ones i have are all basically toast, tried chasing a couple with a bolt but they are trash. Ill spring for a new set for the new wheels.

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Thanks for the reference photos Bodj, sick yota too. chaos kit? i dig the lemans style blue and that you got use of the bed too for dez trips. and ya i def need the rest of those lug nuts on lol. the ones i have are all basically toast, tried chasing a couple with a bolt but they are trash. Ill spring for a new set for the new wheels.
Thanks. Yeah the TC ballpoint kit. That's the stock blue (or as close as I could get in rattlecan for the fiberglass) lol

Jan 19, 2010
Woodland Hills CA
I have been searching on and off for years find a truck with a chaos uniball kit that isnt an overpriced pile of truck. saw that recent post on DIVORCE IN THE MAKING of the white yota with the ball joint kit and coils he recently bought. such a good come up for $850, Killer deal. maybe he wants to sell it. lol

First truck i ever bought was a 4runner with the same vibrant blue. the thing was mint minus some clear coat bubbling on the hood and roofline, one owner mom car. ended up selling it to a friend and he siezed the motor by changing the oil, putting too much in, then proceeded to take too much out, and then drove it up a large grade till it grenaded. o_O I miss that truck.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Woodland Hills CA
Received the china carburetor today.
IMG_3142.JPG
IMG_3143.JPG

Took a bit of time tuning and reconnecting vacuum lines correctly. Runs and holds a good idle now. Had to adjust the air fuel screw way out past factory specs but china carb, it settled into a soft idle so im running with it. There are few different routing techniques through the years for vacuum lines, this is the one that seemed to work for me if anyone else is having vacuum troubles.

1986-toyota-pickup-vacuum-diagram-best-of-top-10-1987-toyota-pickup-repair-questions-solutions...gif

Jan 29, 2002
Yuma, Az
Love looking at other Yota builds, my first one is just about 10 years old, so seemed right to find another! Ha the new white one will be the prerunner if we ever finish the first.

Plans/dreams at the moment is to build a set of lift spindles, like the custom tubeworks spindles, using 2 sets.

Then once she is mobile plans are for a simple bedcage and short course link... that is if I don’t get a good offer and sell it first

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds