Different Link Configurations, Pros & Cons?

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

RanchRanger

Mar 24, 2017
As the title says, what are the advantages/disadvantages of the different types of “desert style” link setups with the shocks mounted on the lowers. Such as a triangulated 4 link or 3 link. Possibly something like the giant DD link with a pan hard bar, or similar setup with a single upper instead of the small gas shocks to fight axle wrap. I have a ‘93 ranger that I’m planning to back half and link this winter. I’ve been debating which route to take. I live in rural Montana so staying street legal is not very difficult, but I do worry about onroad handling on my way to and from wheeling. Is one configuration more road friendly than another? I can see how different types would be easier to fabricate and make antisquat, alignment, pinion angle adjustments etc. but what about the ride quality? Thanks

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
I absolutely LOVE my SI Motorsports 4 link set up. i do a lot of street driving and it has good street characteristics. ive never seen a giant dd link kit in action but it is cool that it allows you to keep the stock gas tank and all that stuff.

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
something other than a triangulated 3 or 4 link means you are trying to build around something factory you dont want to move. IE, gas tank, exhaust, keep shocks out of body, etc. If you are back halfing it, the best bet would be a triangulated 3 or 4 link. the difference between a 3 or 4 link is the upper mounts. you will either bring both upper links together and use 1 heim or uniball as the pivot point at the axle or you will keep both upper links separate from each other and use two heims at the axle end. This setup would be the best handling IF designed correctly.

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
The lower arm tabs on the axle were sticking straight forward on the ones I have seen. Puts a shit load of pressure on the uppers. It also fucks with the anti-squat numbers. Plus having the mounts that far out of line makes it articulate funny. Lower is to short to rotate the mounts down and the front hanger spacing would be off.

mjlogan

space cadet
Feb 9, 2007
ontario ca
Possibly something like the giant DD link with a pan hard bar, or similar setup with a single upper instead of the small gas shocks to fight axle wrap.
I know the geometry isn't ideal, but I've followed Giant Geoff's DD Link Bronco around Baja for hundreds of miles and that thing kicks ass. Has body roll like a Spainish Galleon on the high seas, but it eats whoops, rides like a caddy, and is super reliable.

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
i wouldnt say that the links straight forward off the axle is a bad thing though. lots of trucks run it like that. i have a close friend who runs said link kit and he loves it. his truck has been rippin for a few years now with no issues. also, PERSONALLY i like more squat built into the link geometry.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds