Different Link Configurations, Pros & Cons?

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
for what it's worth to you... i've run a triangulated 3 link & now have converted to a standard 4-link.
It's just less stress on the components (I was breaking bolts on the upper heim with my geometry.
I also like that if I ever fail an upper link for whatever silly-ass reason, the whole truck is still constrained laterally. When you break a 3-link upper, your truck will flop over to one side and break more shit.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
^^ good points. why not share the load across 2x rod ends...

Curious to hear more about link geometry barge was talking about. I feel like my uppers wear out heims too fast and must be taking more stress than ideal. I haven't really dug into the geometry of it all...

And mine aren't straight off front of axle either. I think more around like 45*?

RanchRanger

Mar 24, 2017
Well you guys pretty well answered my question. I was under the assumption that the DD link might offer more road friendly characteristics with the pan hard bar, but its mostly for states that have emmision testing a crap. I bought this ranger relatively cheap as someones half finished project, and it came with a few goodies such as eight 1-1/4" heims and and the upper link bracket on the axle side from ruff stuff. Last winter my big project was building a 4x4 plasma table so ill be fabbing all my own parts. I havent decided on link lengths yet because i want to see where the 5.3/th350 sits once i get it mocked into place. Also while i got your attention what is an achievable and exceptable angle between the uppers with these narrow frame rails. I dont see how 45° could be achieved without bracketry well beyond the outside of the frame rail.

RanchRanger

Mar 24, 2017
I would skip the tree-fiddy and go to a 400. Edit: or better yet a 4L80.

But yeah, having the motor and tans in place will help you get all your mounts in the correct place.
I would agree but I have a freshly rebuilt 350 and 2500 TCI converter from another project that never came to fruition. I might as well give it a shot and see if it holds.

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds