Engine cage design tips

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

breynolds710

Oct 4, 2016
Thanks for all the help with the other questions I’ve had about my cage build.

I’m at the point now where the interior cage portion is done and I’m working on the engine cage now. Tore the shocks out of it tonight and started cutting the old shock hoops off and laid out some preliminary blue tape for some ideas. My main hurdles to overcome will be on the driver side where my steering shaft and brake booster/master are so I’m trying to design the engine cage to be symmetrical from side to side. Probably won’t end up working out like that but we’ll see.

From a “more triangles” point of view, I’m sure I have that covered but are there any tubes that might not be necessary? The only one I could think of to remove is the only vertical tube (closest to the firewall and engine). If that tube was taken out, I wouldn’t have to make a tube to fit around the booster on the other side either, shit is TIGHT over there.

My plan is to make new mounts for the coilovers connected to the engine cage so it has to be strong. Comments? Concerns? Complaints? Re-design ideas? Let the ideas flow :D

Sep 3, 2015
Looks good. On my Tacoma I ran down tubes behind the dash from where your windshield bars intersect to the bar going across for the seat mounts. Actually fit in there pretty good and I think you could keep your dash like it is but the radio and heat would be in the way if your keeping them.

breynolds710

Oct 4, 2016
Looks good. On my Tacoma I ran down tubes behind the dash from where your windshield bars intersect to the bar going across for the seat mounts. Actually fit in there pretty good and I think you could keep your dash like it is but the radio and heat would be in the way if your keeping them.
Thanks! I kept all heat/AC ducting and the radio since I still drive the truck on the street. Have any pics of what you did?

Sep 3, 2015
Thanks! I kept all heat/AC ducting and the radio since I still drive the truck on the street. Have any pics of what you did?
No it's covered by the dash but it's super simple and at least brings some support to those pose tubes in the middle of the dash bar. When your ready to dump the heat etc... you will find it is MUCH easier to get tubes in where they belong, Until then enjoy what you have!

Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
You'll be fine with what you have going on there in my opinion. It's fairly similar to the setup on the Tacoma I race. It's been abused, been upside down a few times, etc... No failures chassis related at least and it's really close to yours.

breynolds710

Oct 4, 2016
No it's covered by the dash but it's super simple and at least brings some support to those pose tubes in the middle of the dash bar. When your ready to dump the heat etc... you will find it is MUCH easier to get tubes in where they belong, Until then enjoy what you have!
Cool thanks! I’ll definitely consider it if I ever decide to dump the HVAC

breynolds710

Oct 4, 2016
You'll be fine with what you have going on there in my opinion. It's fairly similar to the setup on the Tacoma I race. It's been abused, been upside down a few times, etc... No failures chassis related at least and it's really close to yours.
I like real world input! Thanks! So you think this might not be the best way? This is the tube I was considering leaving out due to brake booster clearances on the driver side

Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
I would try to squeeze it in there if you can for piece of mind but I bet if you can't get it in there you'll still be fine judging on what I've put our truck through before it finally cracked and I added some more into it to make it actually almost exact to yours. There's some differences just cause of the different platforms but my gut feeling is you'll be fine either way.

I should ask, is this going to be a play truck or raced? Because people say they run their play trucks hard but they typically aren't running down torn up course at speed after 50 TT's and 50 6100's and the rest of the field have gone through, the abuse difference between the two is substantial...

For reference, this is my F150 that's in my avatar... Granted, my firewall is cut out and custom. I have a tube that runs up to the dash bars basically right along the ends of the bead rolled firewall plate you see in this picture.

Yes, my steering sucks!!! It's getting redone and upgraded to Howe components and changed up geometry wise to get ride of that bend this summer...

I couldn't find one that really showed how the outer top tube comes into place but you can kind of see it here...

And with shocks and full tins installed... Figured a couple pictures never hurt. May stem ideas... I obviously don't have the brake issues to work around that you do.

Last edited:

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds