Epic Riding Trip

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

fourstroker

Bald Eagle Racing
Aug 10, 2005
Garden Grove
Didn't see a random rides thread so figured I would start one....kind of. Last week during our kid's Spring Break my brother I with our kids and a couple friends headed out to Cal City Camp B on Wednesday night for what would be an epic adventure and one that we will certainly do again. Last year we had done something similar with mixed results. We didn't know all of the areas and ended up in a few trails that were over the skill level of our 11-13 yo kids. The kids are much better riders this year and we found the sweet spot on the trails for all of us.

Camp is located 3 miles West of Hwy 395 just off Twenty Mule Team Road in Cal City.

Day 1 - Headed East towards 395, continue East another 25 miles across Cuddyback Dry Lake and to Husky Monument. From there head South/Southwest toward Kramer Junction. Some really cool trails on the way in that are challenging and fun yet not brutal. Proud moment looking back and watching my 13 yo charge the whoops up on the pegs on his CRF150R. 64 miles so far. Lunch at the Roadhouse Café, fuel up and we are off again. Head west towards Boron and then north. Check out the abandoned prison, and a shot up concrete building in the middle of nowhere and head towards camp. Along the way found some more killer trails, a dry lake bed I didn't know existed and a bunch more miles. 104 miles for the day. Time for some beers and BBQ dinner.

Day 2 - Head North towards and thru Randsburg. Popout the other side and continue on to the El Paso Mtns. Stop at a friends camp for a fuel top off and a beer and back on our way. Heading east through the El Pasos towards Dove Springs. Stop at Bickel Camp to check it out and continue East. Some of the most beautiful riding area I have ever seen (And Im frickin old). Skirt the north side of Red Rock Canyon and cross Hwy 14 into Dove Springs. Continue south along the powerline road towards Jawbone Canyon. Not the most challenging but its fun and we make good time. Kids are keeping up despite faster average speeds. Lunch and a beer plus fuel at the Jawbone canyon store and were off again. Hugging tight to Hwy 14 and finally turn towards Cal City. More fun, fast flowing trails. Stop at Cal City to have a beer or 2 with a friend camping a Camp C and then head back to Camp. 93 miles round trip today.

Day 3 - Added 3 riders to our crew and now up to 10 riders. Head north towards but skirt around the East side towards Johannesburg. Cross Hwy 395 and then Trona and ride the Gas Line Road towards Wagon Wheel. The SNORE/MORE race is going on near Wagon Wheel and we plan to do some spectating. Stop at the Gas Line jump for a little bit, then the cross grain hills and finally ride to Main pit to check in with some friends. Both are out of the race already so conversations are short as crews are out in recovery mode. Stomachs are starting to grumble so we beat feet West of Trona Rd and through the El Pasos and finally to Randsburg. Beers and sandwiches fill us up and we are ready for the short ride back to camp. Once back at camp we went through about 1500 rounds of ammo....and nearly as many beers. 66 miles on the day

Day 4 - Short ride around Cal City mostly on cool trails we have ridden before. had to get one last ride in and break the 300 mile barrier. 301 was the exact total and I couldn't have had more fun. Our kids continue to get faster and better. I am certain in a few years they will be waiting for us.

I hope you all are lucky enough to do trips like this with your kids. It an experience we will never forget and neither will they. Its already on the schedule for next year. thanks to my buddies Bob, Bruce, Sammy and Brian for tagging along. Good times

Photos are attached of our trail routes

Attachments

fourstroker

Bald Eagle Racing
Aug 10, 2005
Garden Grove
Last weekend we did our 3rd annual trip. As I suspected our kids were again better and faster. MY 14 yo is now on a 250F Honda and my 2 nephews are both on the cusp as well. Our rides were similar but we added tougher trails and longer days.

Day 1 we saw Cuddyback Dry Lake, Golden Valley Wilderness, Husky Monument, Black Canyon, B-17 Crash site and Boron - 98 miles

Day 2 we saw the El Paso mountains, Burro Schmidt Tunnel, Red Rock Canyon, Dove Springs, Jawbone Canyon and lots of Cal City. Our day was cut in 2 by a failure in our chase buggy that required a tow vehicle and ended abruptly a mile from camp. My 13 yo nephew had a quick ambulance ride after going down on a big rain rut. Thankfully he was fine and we moved on. - 95 miles

Day 3 we went through Teagle Wash, Trona Pinnacles, almost to the town of Trona, Wagon Wheel, Prospectors Camp and Randsburg - 95 miles

We had 9 riders on bikes and 2 support buggies. Good times!

RTinniste

May 11, 2015
palmdale
Last weekend we did our 3rd annual trip. As I suspected our kids were again better and faster. MY 14 yo is now on a 250F Honda and my 2 nephews are both on the cusp as well. Our rides were similar but we added tougher trails and longer days.Day 1 we saw Cuddyback Dry Lake, Golden Valley Wilderness, Husky Monument, Black Canyon, B-17 Crash site and Boron - 98 milesDay 2 we saw the El Paso mountains, Burro Schmidt Tunnel, Red Rock Canyon, Dove Springs, Jawbone Canyon and lots of Cal City. Our day was cut in 2 by a failure in our chase buggy that required a tow vehicle and ended abruptly a mile from camp. My 13 yo nephew had a quick ambulance ride after going down on a big rain rut. Thankfully he was fine and we moved on. - 95 milesDay 3 we went through Teagle Wash, Trona Pinnacles, almost to the town of Trona, Wagon Wheel, Prospectors Camp and Randsburg - 95 milesWe had 9 riders on bikes and 2 support buggies. Good times!
wheres the b-17 crash site I cant find anything on google it takes me to a crash site in lake tahoe?? I want to do that same loop but add mcdonald well to the loop

fourstroker

Bald Eagle Racing
Aug 10, 2005
Garden Grove
its actually the f-22 crash site. North of FP7159 and south of McDonald Well. If you wanted to there instead of Black Canyon it would be easy. Take the Southeast trail out of Husky towards Bird Springs. Once in the wash take it all the way til it dead ends into the semi-graded road. You are practically there.

Sep 21, 2018
Gilroy Ca
Didn't see a random rides thread so figured I would start one....kind of. Last week during our kid's Spring Break my brother I with our kids and a couple friends headed out to Cal City Camp B on Wednesday night for what would be an epic adventure and one that we will certainly do again. Last year we had done something similar with mixed results. We didn't know all of the areas and ended up in a few trails that were over the skill level of our 11-13 yo kids. The kids are much better riders this year and we found the sweet spot on the trails for all of us.

Camp is located 3 miles West of Hwy 395 just off Twenty Mule Team Road in Cal City.

Day 1 - Headed East towards 395, continue East another 25 miles across Cuddyback Dry Lake and to Husky Monument. From there head South/Southwest toward Kramer Junction. Some really cool trails on the way in that are challenging and fun yet not brutal. Proud moment looking back and watching my 13 yo charge the whoops up on the pegs on his CRF150R. 64 miles so far. Lunch at the Roadhouse Café, fuel up and we are off again. Head west towards Boron and then north. Check out the abandoned prison, and a shot up concrete building in the middle of nowhere and head towards camp. Along the way found some more killer trails, a dry lake bed I didn't know existed and a bunch more miles. 104 miles for the day. Time for some beers and BBQ dinner.

Day 2 - Head North towards and thru Randsburg. Popout the other side and continue on to the El Paso Mtns. Stop at a friends camp for a fuel top off and a beer and back on our way. Heading east through the El Pasos towards Dove Springs. Stop at Bickel Camp to check it out and continue East. Some of the most beautiful riding area I have ever seen (And Im frickin old). Skirt the north side of Red Rock Canyon and cross Hwy 14 into Dove Springs. Continue south along the powerline road towards Jawbone Canyon. Not the most challenging but its fun and we make good time. Kids are keeping up despite faster average speeds. Lunch and a beer plus fuel at the Jawbone canyon store and were off again. Hugging tight to Hwy 14 and finally turn towards Cal City. More fun, fast flowing trails. Stop at Cal City to have a beer or 2 with a friend camping a Camp C and then head back to Camp. 93 miles round trip today.

Day 3 - Added 3 riders to our crew and now up to 10 riders. Head north towards but skirt around the East side towards Johannesburg. Cross Hwy 395 and then Trona and ride the Gas Line Road towards Wagon Wheel. The SNORE/MORE race is going on near Wagon Wheel and we plan to do some spectating. Stop at the Gas Line jump for a little bit, then the cross grain hills and finally ride to Main pit to check in with some friends. Both are out of the race already so conversations are short as crews are out in recovery mode. Stomachs are starting to grumble so we beat feet West of Trona Rd and through the El Pasos and finally to Randsburg. Beers and sandwiches fill us up and we are ready for the short ride back to camp. Once back at camp we went through about 1500 rounds of ammo....and nearly as many beers. 66 miles on the day

Day 4 - Short ride around Cal City mostly on cool trails we have ridden before. had to get one last ride in and break the 300 mile barrier. 301 was the exact total and I couldn't have had more fun. Our kids continue to get faster and better. I am certain in a few years they will be waiting for us.

I hope you all are lucky enough to do trips like this with your kids. It an experience we will never forget and neither will they. Its already on the schedule for next year. thanks to my buddies Bob, Bruce, Sammy and Brian for tagging along. Good times

Photos are attached of our trail routes
How you doing new to The Forum thinking about taking a birthday ride next month in October have a 07 trx450er can you give me some help where to find Camp c @ cal City

fourstroker

Bald Eagle Racing
Aug 10, 2005
Garden Grove
Do you know the area it’s easy. From cal city take 20 muleteam road east about 13 miles out of town. Turn left at the Silver saddle sign and then again left where the road dead ends. Take that road over the hill and when you start to come down the hill it’s the wide open area on the right side of the road. From 395 take twenty mule team road to the silver saddle turn except turning right
Postcard from Google Earth

https://earth.app.goo.gl/Tr1WLe
#googleearth

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds