Ford 9" axle bearing removal

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

half-ass astronaut

no longer a Racer
Sep 24, 2008
El Segundo,CA
If you're like me, you hate grinding, or cutting for that matter. The traditional way of removing bearings requires too much cutting. Here's how I do it, maybe it will be easier on you next time your bearing busts it's self.

You're gonna need.....

First, drill a 1/4" hole in the marriage ring.
If you drill all the way to the axle. You'll feel the difference in cutting efficiency. Stop drilling. After you drilled the hole, wack the ring like like a man with a chisel as so.......

The ring will split and release tension, allowing you to slide her right off.

Next, destroy the bearing cage and gut the fucker of all her rollers. Then, clean off the grease with Acetone! Or brakeKleen if you have have a death wish.

Now, take your welder, and wrap a hot bead around the outside face of the race. I used my TIG welder, cause I like my welds clean as buttcheeks.

After you got your sick dime stacks laid down, grab your gloves, a big fat chisel, and your BFH, and start beating the bitch like she forget to make your dinner.

Just keep hitting it. It will slide off. If it doesnt, put some more nail polish in your purse and hit it harder. This is the most dangerous part, if it goes south and you end up bashing your hand, run to the fridge and grab a cold beer.

Hopefully this helps some of you guys.
Enjoy.

Oct 14, 2002
Orange CA
never tried drilling a hole then beating the shit out of it to crack it. i use an air grinder with a small cut off wheel and score the bearing race then use a chisel and beat that bitch till it cracks. I do like the drill a hole on the marriage ring as that would take less work than with a cut off wheel.

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

After you got your sick dime stacks laid down, grab your gloves, a big fat chisel, and your BFH, and start beating the bitch like she forget to make your dinner.
that made me lol

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds