Fox 2.5 Bypass oil leak refill help.

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Jun 29, 2016
Tucson, AZ
I bought some used 2.5x16 3 tube piggybacks and while they were shipping one did not have any pressure in it and leaked oil everywhere. It looks like the end cap on the side of the reservoir that goes into the shock body is the source of the leak. The cap is pushed in more than the other shock that has a bit of pressure still in it. Now is the cause of the leak actually just because of the lack of pressure or do I have a bigger issue? And when I go to top it off with oil do I need to check IFP depth? And if so I can't find the proper depth for a 2.5 bypass with a 14" reservoir. I have searched around but cannot find much info. Thanks.

84prerunner

2:AM Fabrication
Feb 7, 2008
Covina CA
not being pressurized can cause that leak. Its just an oring seal, without pressure that cap can get pushed crooked in the body and allow oil to leak around the oring. easiest way to set IFP depth is to bottom it out against the hose end of the resi without the seal head and shaft in the shock body.

Jun 29, 2016
Tucson, AZ
not being pressurized can cause that leak. Its just an oring seal, without pressure that cap can get pushed crooked in the body and allow oil to leak around the oring. easiest way to set IFP depth is to bottom it out against the hose end of the resi without the seal head and shaft in the shock body.
Ok cool so after I set the IFP should I put the reservoir back together and put like 5-10 psi into it and then fill with oil and then button everything back up?

socalkid92

Nov 9, 2010
National City, CA
What I do about the ifp when I rebuild shocks is when the shock shaft and all that is out I bottom out the ipf to the bottom of the reservoir. Then I fill the shock body with oil till it's about one inch from the top. I cycle the ifp from the bottom to top in the reservoir to bleed the air from the shock body, I believe on bypasses you have to cap the opening on the shock body with your hand or a rag and flip it upside down to remove the air from the bypass tubes. Then you slowly put your shock shaft back in and the ifp will set itself to where it needs to be. I've never had a problem doing it that way.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Jun 29, 2016
Tucson, AZ
OK I got it to seat all the way but it is still leaking and I think the shock may have been damaged in shipping. It looks like the welded tube for the reservoir got bent in, which must not be allowing the seal to seat right. Leaky shock - https://i.imgur.com/PlM2a1p.jpg - good shock - https://i.imgur.com/DL1hJ6Z.jpg - you can see the reservoir is tilted towards the shock body on the leaky one. Should this still be sealing or did UPS fuck them up? The day they were supposed to be delivered they had to go through customs because they started leaking oil everywhere.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds