Fuel cell plumbing question.

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

hxckidd

Clean-Dezert.org
Feb 14, 2002
so cal
www.clean-dezert.org
Bradbury...for what it's worth, I recently discovered that Arizona & Nevada have both started doing smog checks as of 2018. So you can probably just hate on emissions testing in general, not just CA. Catch a few more folks that way :)

In the counties where Phoenix & Tuscon are located, they're smog checking everything back to 1967 now.
That was a real bubble burster for me, because it means my '69 F100 couldn't pass if I were to move out that way. Similar story for Clark county, NV (Vegas)
that pisses me right the fuck off... hey lets require a car that was never meant to pass smog... to pass.... fuck you people.

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
Same.
I mean... it may just be that whatever the 196X emissions restrictions must be in place but since i'm smog exempt here in CA, i did an engine swap / fuel cell install, the whole 9... all with no regard to maintaining documentation.

I'd be curious to hear from some of the guys that live there about more details. all my info is just from the .gov website

my reference: https://www.emissions.org/loc/arizona-emissions-testing/

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
I'm in phoenix where they require emissions but all my vehicles are registered at a friends place out in bullhead city so no emissions for me. My shop neighbors car is registered at the walmart in prescott and it works fine he said for years now.

bradbury

Jun 25, 2008
Riverside
Wow thats shitty for alot of people. Im not so mad at smog regulations because I do want to to try and keep the skys blue. Really just the visual thing. If you hook it up to the sniffer and it passes that should be good enough, regardless of how I am transporting my fuel around.

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
Pima and Yavapi county's have had smog checks for years. Just register it outside of those county's.

The thing that really pissed me off was they now require you to have AZ insurance. Insurance from another state will no longer work. Way to shoot yourself in the foot and screw all the snowbirds AZ. It's like their taking lessons from Komifornia.

04yfzkid

I are smarts
Mar 21, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
Read the law, understand the law, know the law. If you do that you can get away with about anything. Everyone gets scared of the law because a friend said it was illegal and then amplifies. Rule #2 is understanding the state wants to take your money, give them a good reason why they should and you will be golden...

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
Bradbury...for what it's worth, I recently discovered that Arizona & Nevada have both started doing smog checks as of 2018. So you can probably just hate on emissions testing in general, not just CA. Catch a few more folks that way :)

In the counties where Phoenix & Tuscon are located, they're smog checking everything back to 1967 now.
That was a real bubble burster for me, because it means my '69 F100 couldn't pass if I were to move out that way. Similar story for Clark county, NV (Vegas)
Thats not new, thats been that way here for as long as i can remember. if your vehicle is 25 years old, all you have to do is buy historical plates and you can get out of any emission testing regardless of where you are registered. OR register it somewhere up north, east,west, south outside of Maricopa County or Pima County (there are two little parts that go into Pinal and Yavapi county you want to stay away from as well). PO Box wont work but a physical address is no issue. You can easily change location on Service Arizona and then put your mailing address as your house or where ever in town. You can have a fuel cell and still pass emissions. just have to make sure the fuel cap will work in their tester and if you are OBD2, it just has to pass the ecm self checks for emission parts and not have an illuminated CEL. running the vent to what looks like a charcoal canister setup will keep them happy. If your ECM is tunable, you will know this is easy to make work. there will be more to it if you are required to have CAT's and dont but again, easy fix.

If the vehicle is under 1800lbs, it can be registered as an OHV which will not require emission. obviously a ranger aint going to hit that mark but that is how my sand car is setup. 4 dollar registration each year, 26 dollar OHV tag and insurance and its street legal under ADOT's eyes.

Its extremely simple to get around emission testing here (this aint smog, its not near as strict). Oh and fuck snow birds.

bradbury

Jun 25, 2008
Riverside
Thanks for all the info so far guys. Goods news is I stopped by my local smog guy and he said visual is no problem just has to pass sniffer. Bad news is I couldnt get the truck to start with the new fuel cell. Is there anything you have to do with the stock pump wiring (Ground wires, relays ect..) when switching to aftermarket inline pump with a cell?

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
I used all stock wiring. You probably just gotta get it primed!! Sometimes it takes a while to prime. And make sure you have fuel pump going the right way. They look like they are backwards sometimes when they are actually going correct direction. (i made this mistake once. LOL)

bradbury

Jun 25, 2008
Riverside
I used all stock wiring. You probably just gotta get it primed!! Sometimes it takes a while to prime. And make sure you have fuel pump going the right way. They look like they are backwards sometimes when they are actually going correct direction. (i made this mistake once. LOL)
I also used the stock wiring. I used the pink/black wire off the stock pump for power and black wire for ground. Could not get the pump to turn on this way so wired the pump straight off the battery and had the fuel line disconnected at the "out" side of the pump to insure it primed. Once it primed I hooked the fuel line up and ran the pump hot off the battery again but truck still will not start.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds