Go fast-ish 1-ton 545ci 79' Bronco.

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Mar 30, 2008
Bumfuck Idaho
well since I'm going spring under I wanted some stouter spring plates and perches. But, from what I could find all of the aftermarket ones are made for 2.5" wide springs not 3". So this weekend I started making some myself instead. They're made from .250 steel and hug the side of the leafs tightly so if I ever shear a centering pin the leafs are somewhat contained. The design also allows me to run a shorter U-Bolt while also protecting them and retaining as much ground clearance as possible.

Mar 30, 2008
Bumfuck Idaho
Yeah sheared center pins can suck my ass got the H57's under the truck, man its sitting low now, The rear bumpers only 22" off the ground for reference. I ended up with a bit more rake than I was hoping for but its not too horrible, I may end up doing to J40's down the road to gain an inch or two in the back.As it sits now I have 6.5-7" bump travel up front and would have 8" available with a 3.5" notch in the rear.

Mar 30, 2008
Bumfuck Idaho
As it sits now I have about 6.5" of up travel up front, which is about as little as I think I can get by with, so any lower and I'd be sacrificing performance quite a bit. I am looking at re-arching or going to Deaver J40's in the back to bring it up 1-2". I have 5" bump travel before I hit the frame now so to run it this low I need a 3" frame notch at least to keep 8" bump travel like I want.

Apr 24, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
I agree. I was looking at J40's but that will only leave me sitting 1" higher. I'm thinking F79's may be the best route for me, or possibly a 64" spring setup like Giants.
I ended up running a 3" wide spring under race pack off a newer F150. Not sure who made the springs, as I purchased them used and the swapmeet but they work great on my bronco.

Mar 30, 2008
Bumfuck Idaho
I ended up running a 3" wide spring under race pack off a newer F150. Not sure who made the springs, as I purchased them used and the swapmeet but they work great on my bronco.
Just checked out your build, I dig your rear end set up. I wouldn't mind running a 64" pack, just not sure what I'd run for hangers/shackles. Seams like most 64" setups run a longer shackle than my Camburgs.

Mar 30, 2008
Bumfuck Idaho
Not alot of updates on the Bronco unfortunately, between getting ready for our second kid and working 12's I haven't had as much time as I would like to work on it. However, this 1968 F100 4x4 short-bed popped up for way too cheap and I jumped on it with the intentions of flipping it.
My Dad has been looking to sell his Bronco to fund his 68 fastback build, so instead of selling it to some stranger I offered my F100 in trade. He agreed, however he'll be keeping his motor for the Mustang. So, that left me to find a motor. I picked up this 429ci motor locally and am currently going through it and cleaning it up. Specs so far: 1971 Ford iron block. Stock stroke 429 cast crank. Factory Cobra Jet rods with ARP bolts. Keith Black Forged pistons. Comp Cams flat tappet camshaft(244/254 @ 0.050 duration, .604/.604 lift). Comp Cams double roller timing chain. Milodon oil pump, pickup, and pan. S.F.I. flywheel. Short block is fully balanced. DOVE heads with Comp Cams screw in studs, guide plates, springs, locks, retainers, valves, pushrods, and 1.73 full roller aluminum rocker arms. Duraspark distributor. Weiand Stealth intake manifold Barry Grant 850 Demon carb.
Here's my Dads Bronco I'm trading for: Nv4500 w/ custom adapters, Np205 twin stick, trussed D44 w/selectable detroit locker, trussed 9" with Nascar Nodular 3rd, spool, 35 spline chromo axles etc.
So this has lead me to change the Black Broncos direction somewhat. It's always been...confused... for lack of better terms, its been a cross between go-fast and trails. But the solid axle really limits the go-fast, and the glass limits how much I want to lean it on trees etc so its not really good at either. Now that i'll have another Bronco that is capable of hitting trails and enjoying for more 4x4 oriented stuff, its time I make the Black Bronco more of an all-out go fast Bronco. SO... my big plan is this... take the 1-tons out from under the Black Bronco and put them under the new one. Then take the 9" from under the new Bronco and toss it in the Black one, and go to TTB up front. The TTB wont ever handle serious abuse with 39-40" tires and 700+hp but it will be nice to have as insurance if ever needed. Also, I feel TTB is the most bang for the buck and would be less expensive than converting to 2wd beams etc. My biggest dilemma with this plan is bolt pattern, I feel I should probably run the D50 outers etc for the added strength needed running 40's. There's a lot of $$$ in the 9" so I would prefer to use it instead of swapping to a 1-ton rear end, not to mention the weight advantage. so there's so puzzles to be solved at some point.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds