Grophy Kart for the Kiddos

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Tophy Kart for the Kiddos

Not my kids. I have two nieces and a nephew all under the age of 4 and they absolutely love getting rides on the quad, so I'm going to be building them a home brew trophy kart. It will be two seater until they get bigger. I'm going to start off by powering it with a Honda 5.5HP engine we have in the shed which should give enough torque and get them up to 22mph with the 12/40 gearing I'm probably going to use. Down the road I would like to convert it to single seater (so I can fit haha) and either 250f or 450 motor, clutch pedal and shifter. The front end is going to be center mounted J arms with around 15" of travel using cheap MTB shocks off amazon until I feel the need to dump more money into it lol. The rear will be chain driven and linked. It will ride on 25" ATV tires we have sitting around, and may single or dual spares. Anyways, I got started on it tonight by getting the frame made, including the lower section of the bulkhead. It's been a while since I've TIGed, but I'm not going to complain
Long notch is long

Last edited:

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Made some after work progress. Bent the A and B pillars and got them notched and welded. I made it a little taller than necessary to clear taller people, along with the kids. I haven't finished the back of the frame because I may want to make the cab portion a little longer than I had designed. The pictures on the jacks are at ride height (16"), and the pictures with the tires show their approximate locations (78" wheelbase and 48" track width).

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Today's progress. Roll cage is coming along, closed off the rear frame, and got half the joints fully welded. Gotta order the heims so I can start the suspension soon.

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
I've got some pretty good motivation right now to see it through, and plenty of time after work. I have thought about going with a rack, or maybe a pitman arm style, where there is a tab off the main steering shaft that pushes/pulls the tie rods as the shaft turns. I'd imagine steering to be pretty firm and I wouldn't be able to turn the wheel more than a quarter turn each direction, but it would be cheap and pretty easy to make work. I think doing it this way would be a good way to get it driveable and let the kids enjoy it while it's slow and a two seater. Then I can not feel bad when I rip out the offset steering (since it's a two seater) and redo the steering to suit a single seater setup.
Maybe I can even hook it up to some swingers for a little better geometry? Similar to this concept, but hopefully with better execution lol

ucd baja

#1 Pig Killer
Dec 16, 2008
Plainfield, CA
Looks cool can't wait to see it done, what are you doing for Suspension? I just took the stock arms off my 400ex if you pay for shipping you can have them but you'll still need spindles ect...

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds