Grophy Kart for the Kiddos

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Jan 19, 2010
Woodland Hills, Ca
Took it to some dirt near my house and it's so fun! Not very fast, but the suspension and steering work great. Ended up frying a belt, ending the fun early. Got me pumped to keep it and keep working on it again, so I'll be searching for the right deal on an electric start 450 out of an atv most likely. I want more power, better throttle response, and an actual transmission with gears and neutral.
Heck ya! nice job. Gotta get a shot of that thing mid air.

Bet that thing is a monster with a 450 swap and some gearing.

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
havent read through all of this, but have you taken the governor off that engine? CVT setup plays a huge roll in how well it will work. on race UTVs a ton of time goes into changing springs and weights to get the power to the ground.
Yeah I removed the governor. I'm thinking the torque converter that's on it is undersized. I would rather swap on a proper motor with a gearbox on it than fiddle with the TC. When I do that, the countershaft sprocket will also be in a much better location so I won't have as much discrepancy in chain length as the rear cycles through it's travel.

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Also to update this: I'm in the process of upgrading the torque converter (insert foot in mouth from last post...) from a 30 series to a 40 series. In my haste, I built a new mounting plate out of 1/4" plate to mimic the old mounting plate. It wasn't until I got everything together and just about done that I noticed a fatal mistake: the driven pulley of the 40 series faces the opposite direction than the 30 series. Basically I have the driven pulley on so it rotates backwards. I know there are reverse-wound springs, so I'll have to order one of those.

Pictures in the next post

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
So the story with the drilled and tapped shaft is that's what the driven pulley rides on. I'm cheap so I'm reusing it from the old pulley, which was narrower (as seen in the image). I couldn't get the nut to reach the threads, so I drilled and tapped to run a bolt instead.

Also, I made a bearing "race" that holds two bearings with like a 3" spread, mimicking the old aluminum mount. I'll get pictures of that tomorrow.

rojodiablo

Nov 2, 2005
HB!!!
The gate looks great. If you are looking for a motor to make that cart get outta town in a BIG hurry, hit me u; your brother Eric has my number. Have a very healthy 2007/2008 GSXR1000 sitting here. A sailor buddy dropped it off for me to work on it, 4 years ago. Got deployed to Va. and it's a write off.

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds