High nitrogen pressure causing high ride height

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
Going from a 7/8" shaft to a 5/8" shaft in a 2.0 shock would increase your effective piston area from 2.5SQ" to 2.8SQ". So about a 12% increase.

Now if you do something like the Walker shocks and put the resi outlet on the side of the shock, once you pass it you would see a 25% increase with a 7/8" shaft.

Edit: Since a 5/8" shaft is only about half the area of a 7/8" shaft, your spring force from the nitrogen will just about half.

Last edited:

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
Damn good info! you fuckers will get a beer on me if we ever meet up :D

any concern with going with the 5/8 shaft and running into bent shaft issues? obviously id be lightening valving up more than im at now if dampening increases just from the change.

mobil1syn

Jun 3, 2003
#jeepproblems #sprungwieghtisyourfriend

some possible solutions
- run a 1/4" off the crossover to engage the lower spring sooner to get the spring rate up ... some induced harness when the payload is light
- adjust preload depending on payload ... giant PITA
- assuming a certain payload for suspension setup and deal with the stinkbug or brolean ... i prefer this solution
- relocating some thing to get some weight over the rear axle to help deal with the problem ... this is the most ideal solution

when swapping to a 5/8" shaft on a 7/8" shaft shock you lose the flow restriction into the reservoir from the hose sizing to help battle piston plunge. this is why ifp shocks (bilstiens and fox) are better than emulsions but not on par with a properly reservoir'd shock. to do this properly youd need to swap the top cap and go to the smaller hose for a 5/8" shaft

Going from a 7/8" shaft to a 5/8" shaft in a 2.0 shock would increase your effective piston area from 2.5SQ" to 2.8SQ". So about a 12% increase.

Now if you do something like the Walker shocks and put the resi outlet on the side of the shock, once you pass it you would see a 25% increase with a 7/8" shaft.

Edit: Since a 5/8" shaft is only about half the area of a 7/8" shaft, your spring force from the nitrogen will just about half.
care to explain this further? the tenton post on a fox is the same on the 5/8" shaft all the way to the 1" shaft, having no effect on the effective piston working diameter.

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
#jeepproblems #sprungwieghtisyourfriend

some possible solutions
- run a 1/4" off the crossover to engage the lower spring sooner to get the spring rate up ... some induced harness when the payload is light
- adjust preload depending on payload ... giant PITA
- assuming a certain payload for suspension setup and deal with the stinkbug or brolean ... i prefer this solution
- relocating some thing to get some weight over the rear axle to help deal with the problem ... this is the most ideal solution

when swapping to a 5/8" shaft on a 7/8" shaft shock you lose the flow restriction into the reservoir from the hose sizing to help battle piston plunge. this is why ifp shocks (bilstiens and fox) are better than emulsions but not on par with a properly reservoir'd shock. to do this properly youd need to swap the top cap and go to the smaller hose for a 5/8" shaft

care to explain this further? the tenton post on a fox is the same on the 5/8" shaft all the way to the 1" shaft, having no effect on the effective piston working diameter.
interesting! so basically i would be building damn near a new shock to make the 5/8 work properly. i was contemplating moving weight around. only real thing i can move at this point is the battery. spare tire and carrier are already back there as well as the fuel tank. i still need to put my c02 tank back there (20#er) but its full and az sun glare through the back window will blow the blow off valve (did that once, glad i wasnt in the vehicle when it happened) and a 50# tool bag needs to go back there. trying to keep off the crossover so i can keep a smoother ride over the little chop. hmmmm

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
Restricting flow into the resi with a small orifice is a good way to bend shafts.

Upping the oil level in the resi's would also help as you could run a lower initial pressure. The more progressive ramp up of pressure would still help to fight cavitation in the mid stroke and even more close to bump. N2 volume tuning is overlooked most of the time.

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
im gunna dick around with it this weekend. put my tools back there, tank in, play with nitrogen pressures as well as the resi fill level. Dont want to blow 250 bucks on shafts, bearing/seal housing, cap and rod end just yet. i was thinking the same on the resi fill level too as fox say to have the IFP set at 8" on a 11" canister. i bottomed these prior to popping the bearing/seal housing in but didnt measure where they are (id assume 10ish inch from the end). need to soften up the bump stops too. 10cc removed when fully compressed and 100psi is a um...... pretty fucking rough lmao.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds