I Love Old Toyotas

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Well, my first truck was a 1995 pickup that I built from this

To this

I love how simple these things are, and I've been wanting another since the day I sold Big Blue. Anyways, I'm now doing more fab work for Bodj Built and they're charging to deliver metal now, so I figured I'd pick up a work truck. I got this 1989 yesterday with 221,750 miles on it. I'll be selling my GTI and this will be my DD/camping truck. Unfortunately I don't plan on building it up much, but who knows what the future holds. Anyways, here's the pictures.

I looked at 3 other trucks and they were all beat. Motors hardly started, interior destroyed, and/or body destroyed, too. I knew right away this was the one. The motor runs great and doesn't have any leaks or noises. Transmission and transfer case all shift great, and the interior is super clean so I was willing to overlook the bedside.

The wheels are not my taste, but they're not the worst thing in the world, and they're brand new (along with the tires). Down the road I'll switch to something I like more, but for now these will do. Once school slows up in a few weeks I'll be building a lumber rack to carry metal and pole vault poles (I coach for 2 high schools and a university in the area), straightening out the bed to be good enough until I find a replacement, and doing general maintenance to it in preparation for camping/desert trips.

Overall I'm stoked to be back in a truck and have something to take my pup out camping with.

Travisfab

Staff member
Aug 21, 2003
San Diego
There's just something about these trucks. I was trying to explain it to someone. I think it's the wide boxed frame rails, leafs under the frame, forged components, and overall rigidity. You just feel more connected to the road.

You know you don't really want to keep it stock! Have you seen the Blazeland kits? Simple, cheap, & effective.

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
What's not to love,
Looks= Awesome
Reliability= You know it
Strength= As mentioned fully boxed frame and no stupid steering rack or struts
Speed= Oh well we don't need to come in first in a drag race

There is no "How to kill a" (Any other truck) video out there

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Hah no blazeland kit is going on this truck. If anything, I'll build a lot for it way down the road. Right now I just to drive it and figure out anything that needs fixing. I wanted to make it to the DR meet in the beginning of may, but its my nieces and nephews birthday party. Track season is over soon so ill be able to go camping on weekends finally

bullnerd

Feb 1, 2008
Ive only owned one, but yeah, I loved it. 89, auto. Used to race my buddy with his Nissan everyday out of work through the industrial complex! They were soo close! Trans finally went (while racing) and I had someone make an offer I couldn't refuse. I miss it.

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Yeah I'm not a fan, either. They're staying for now since money is gonna be tight for a bit. Just got accepted into a Masters in Education/teaching credential program

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Yeah I'm not a fan, either. They're staying for now since money is gonna be tight for a bit. Just got accepted into a Masters in Education/teaching credential program
Bet you could get a decent chunk of change for them off of someone with bad taste. Just think, Someone paid full list price for them in the first place.

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Eh. I'm not too worried. I'll ditch them eventually. Swapping to new wheels requires buying a brand new set of tires and new wheels, THEN selling these (I want to go down to 15s. These are 17s). Money isn't disposable right now and I have other priorities

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds