im just a noob looking for the best long travel kit

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Heer-O

Mega Member
Jan 23, 2013
Lake Elsinore / Lakewood
Why are you set on 18" of travel? Just seems like an odd number to me. What is your intentions with the truck? Do you want to cruise? Prerun? Just Rip through the dezert? Huck it big?

You would be amazed what 12-14" will be with shock tuning. And yeah, motion ratio is a funny thing. Don't mind the shit talking. The site has changed over the years lol

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sep 7, 2008
Signal Hill
These guys are beating a dead horse trying to help you understand that how well a truck performs does not only equate to how many inches of travel you have.

A well tuned truck with small travel will ride and be faster than a truck with poorly tuned 18". Get a good well built kit (BTF) they will tell you the shock sizes you need (probably 2.5 x 10) and worry about getting your shocks tuned by a reputable shock tuner.

Focus on getting the truck setup properly from the start that way you arent going back and redoing things that were done improperly in the first place. Lots of good info on here and many educated guys but you have to be open to receiving the information.....

Spoken my .02 Carry on....

NODNARB

Mega Member
Aug 18, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga
www.btf-fabrication.com
Im also wondering if you run a 35" tire and have a true 18'' of travel, how long will your steering rack live?

35’s and I don’t think any rack issues yet

37’s and hasn’t broken a rack. Done a few weekends in Moab along with regular desert running around in it.

Kingpin angle/scrub is pretty good on this kit which should help.

Yes, travel numbers aren’t the be all end all of anything, and I’m the first one to tell people shock tuning is way more important... but people want/think they need big numbers, and if it helps sell stuff, this is how I eat, so if I can truthfully claim a couple more inches even though I know it’s all just a dick swinging contest, I will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2008
Riverside
Brandon that is pretty impressive to have the rack survive with that big of tires and that much travel. I dont doubt youre stuff pulls 18''' of clean travel and you guys are one of the few shops I would trust. I only asked because I had issues with 35's and only 14'' of travel.

Aug 18, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga
www.btf-fabrication.com
Brandon that is pretty impressive to have the rack survive with that big of tires and that much travel. I dont doubt youre stuff pulls 18''' of clean travel and you guys are one of the few shops I would trust. I only asked because I had issues with 35's and only 14'' of travel.
I have no idea how hard these have been run, hammering through whoops I think is harder on stuff than the “let me do this jump for Instagram “ type of running. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds