Ivy

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

chewy0288

Mega Member
Dec 11, 2011
near sacramento

The "Innocent Victim" (I.V. - A.k.a. Ivy)
1996 4.0 5 speed.

I was going to hold off on a build thread until I had made some progress, but I figure if I start now, maybe I can get some knowledge and help from some of you, as I go. It's my second prerunner build, but my first was mostly a bolt on kind of build. This one is going to be a lot more in depth and I want to do as much of it as I can by myself. So here we go!

Plans:
-D44 equal length ibeam kit.
-Full engine cage that can eventually tie into a full cab cage.
-14" 2.5 coilovers (currently looking for a used set)
-4" bump stops, front and rear (looking for used set)
-big bearing 9" rear axle (4.88s w/spool)
-Deavers
-14" smooth body's.

After it's on it's own weight and street-able. I will start stocking up on parts to do a cab cage and 3 link rear. ( but this is not an immediate plan, rather, something to keep in mind for the future)

chewy0288

Mega Member
Dec 11, 2011
near sacramento
First thing first. burn outs.

Which by the way, made the check engine light come on. Bummer. Oh well.

Only had about an hour to get into it today. Should get a lot more time in tomorrow.

Every thing is off aside from the radius arm and ibeam pivot bolts.

Last edited:

chewy0288

Mega Member
Dec 11, 2011
near sacramento

At this point, removing the front clip would be the easiest way to get in and clean up the frame, and remove all of the brackets.
But being that I want to keep all of the engine accessories, I was thinking it might be best to build the engine cage base structure, around all of the accessories before I rip it all apart. So I'm not sure exactly what direction to go. So I think I'll start cleaning up the new ibeams and getting them ready to install, until I can decide.

Last edited:

chewy0288

Mega Member
Dec 11, 2011
near sacramento
Steel is purchased for the engine cage. If anyone has followed this thread so far, I have a question.
I want to plate the frame, from the rear of the original coil bucket, forward about 12-18" so I have a clean flat surface to mount bumpstops, and steering swingers. Is it best to float the plate over the existing frame, or cut out the section and weld in the new plate?
If cutting it out, will it be a problem having the weight of the motor hanging out over the jack stands, causing the frame to bend or twist?

Apr 1, 2003
Yucaipa, Ca
Plate over the existing frame to reinforce what's there and spread the load out over a larger surface area. Similar to this pic, I can't remember what build thread this is from on here, but look around for more examples.

chewy0288

Mega Member
Dec 11, 2011
near sacramento
Plate over the existing frame to reinforce what's there and spread the load out over a larger surface area. Similar to this pic, I can't remember what build thread this is from on here, but look around for more examples.

Is it best to spread the load, top of frame and side of frame? Or is it best, if possible, to land all of the tubes on top of the frame?

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds