JF GMC "El Diamante Negro" Build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

ljubera0250

Mega Member
Jun 2, 2008
Hemet, CA
Well, we got her all cleaned up for Temecula Off-road Nights. She was parked at the Black Widow Exhaust booth. This is probably the cleanest she's been since the shoot. You don't realize how hard it is to get a truck that gets used cleaned up until you have to. Lol Now we just have to get the new lowers on and finish the interior and clean up the front end and she will be going on the market. Kind of bittersweet, but im excited to start on the new truck. Cant wait.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2008
Hemet, CA
Well, I've been driving the truck to school for the past 3 weeks now.

Driving her is such a blast, I hadn't been driving her to school much since I started the nursing program because I would just drive the Explorer. Since we are going to be posting her up for sale soon, we have been throwing ideas around to get my new truck going. I know I'm going to have withdrawals once she's gone. So I've been thinking...

End goal with the new truck is full tube chassis center-mount/4-linked full kill build. But... I still have 1 more year of school left, so I won't have the time or money to finish her any time soon.

So... I'm considering... (with Ryan's help) designing and building some beams for the front, re-do the steering, and running a simple 4 link for now (we can start building suspension, once the GMC is gone). Build the trailing arms super nice since I plan to use them on the full build, run Ryan's TT hubs so we can exchange wheels as needed, just run 3.0" coilovers all the way around, and get the truck to where she is a clean daily driver. Then... When I finish next semester and I'm on summer vacation, I'm contemplating selling the Explorer and using that money to get the motor and trans, and possibly rear end, so I can dd the new truck my last semester. I'm hoping everything can go as planned because I'm really looking forward to driving the new truck.

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Idea... If going full tube chassis with all the goodies AND wanting to drive it could you do as you said above with the beams and simple 4 link. You can then take the correct measurements and build the tube chassis while still driving around and having fun on beams and links? Then when tube chassis is mostly done with suspension and frame section etc could you then swap the truck on and finish the upper half of the cage and all that?

Coming from someone who has never done anything like this.

Jun 2, 2008
Hemet, CA
Idea... If going full tube chassis with all the goodies AND wanting to drive it could you do as you said above with the beams and simple 4 link. You can then take the correct measurements and build the tube chassis while still driving around and having fun on beams and links? Then when tube chassis is mostly done with suspension and frame section etc could you then swap the truck on and finish the upper half of the cage and all that?

Coming from someone who has never done anything like this.
That's pretty much the plan. The only problem is having time to work on the chassis. Ryan has a full race truck build coming up while also having his f150 prepped for races all while having his full time day job.

Jun 2, 2008
Hemet, CA
Progress on the gmc...

Ryan has been designing new spindles for the new front end, they are just about ready to be cut out. I was supposed to cut them out this weekend and get them all cleaned up and tacked together but I had way too much Hw this week. Here are a couple pics he posted on ig.

Next is step is designing the uca's. I'm really hoping we can get her ready to go on the market by the end of next month so we can finish getting the f1 ready for Rage.

ljubera0250

Mega Member
Jun 2, 2008
Hemet, CA
Well, I just completed my 4th semester of nursing school a few weeks ago and am about to start my 5th semester next week. I can't believe how fast the time has gone since starting nursing school a couple of years ago. It's crazy to think that after summer I will have my last semester left and will hopefully be graduating this December. I ended up daily driving the prerunner all semester, now that the explorer is almost going again (she was waiting patiently on us to have the time and funds to do the timing chain ). Now that I'll have the mom-mobile we plan to tear the truck down to seriously get her ready to be on the market. I haven't been too motivated lately because I was too overwhelmed with this semester and getting the truck ready for the race, but now with the "new year bs" I feel ready to start cranking on this truck again to find her a nice home.

jeepspeed

Mega Member
Dec 29, 2004
Phoenix Arizona
If you’re serious about selling it, I think some traditional style glass will make it sell much quicker. I know you guys have heard that time and time again, but I do think it would be worth the money. I wouldn’t be surprised if you could even trade your glass/sell it to recoup the cost. Or even donate those bedsides to Ryan since it looked like he lost his at rage.

Either way good luck with selling this thing!

Jun 2, 2008
Hemet, CA
It's been hard to get motivated to work on this thing lately. Hopefully now with the kid's birthdays and the holidays just passing we'll be able to find some time to get this thing knocked out. I started school again 2 weeks ago so that should make progress slow and hopefully steady. We were also able to get my dd going again (thanks to my amazing husband) so that should make it easier since we can afford to have the truck down longer. Stay tuned.

Here are some pics of things I've been working on since I was dding the truck and didn't have time to work on it before.

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds