Minimum DOM size for seat mounts?

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Thanks gents. .095 is .1lb per foot lighter than .120. Won't be enough to make any kind of difference in weight but I'd venture to say .095 would be strong enough too. Its only .0125 thinner per side. My PRP seat sliders are even smaller on the OD, not sure on thickness.
Yea, I don't think my PRP's frames are even 1".....

I have done 1" x .120. Or just mounted off the main x members. I prefer the latter, because no extra tube needed! Plus, with the 1"... if the tubes get too long, my fatass can flex them a little.

The reason I picked the 1" x .120 was because I have lots of it for building bedside mounts, etc. If I were to do it all over again.. I would probably get .095 for all that stuff..... And save a whopping mcqaurter pound with cheese over the entire truck. LOL

breynolds710

Oct 4, 2016
Yea, I don't think my PRP's frames are even 1".....

I have done 1" x .120. Or just mounted off the main x members. I prefer the latter, because no extra tube needed! Plus, with the 1"... if the tubes get too long, my fatass can flex them a little.

The reason I picked the 1" x .120 was because I have lots of it for building bedside mounts, etc. If I were to do it all over again.. I would probably get .095 for all that stuff..... And save a whopping mcqaurter pound with cheese over the entire truck. LOL
Yeah I could drop a big deuce one morning and save the same amount of weight hahaha. I put my calipers on the PRP seat mounts and they are .75" OD. I'm sure 1" .095 will be fine

breynolds710

Oct 4, 2016
As a follow up to this, would it be ok to plate the body where the new seat tube welds to? Rather than cut a hole in the trans tunnel and connect both sides. I have an Atlas transfer case down there that may be in the way hah

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
As a follow up to this, would it be ok to plate the body where the new seat tube welds to? Rather than cut a hole in the trans tunnel and connect both sides. I have an Atlas transfer case down there that may be in the way hah
Is the rest of the cab caged? I would try and run the seat tubes to the floor tubes of the cage.

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
I think that would be fine.

I originally welded the front seat tubes to the tunnel with a 0.065” doubler plate on the trans tunnel. Then I decided to make the ugly hoop that goes over the tunnel as well.

Rear tube goes all the way through.

Edit:
Found more pics

Last edited:

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds