Need nitrogen schrader valves on fox bumps extended. Bad idea?

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Feb 7, 2017
Gentlemen I am running Fox 2.0 nitrogen bumps on a Rally Raid G-Wagen. The front bumps are inside the spring bucket and as such, checking their pressures is a real pain. I'd love to remove the schrader valve and add 24" of steel braided hydraulic line to remote locate the valve in an accessible location.Besides not finding the proper thread to mate to the bump, I've been advised by Fox tech that hydraulic line would not stand up to the pressure. This seems crazy to me, but I'm not a tech and am pretty new to all of this. Does anyone have any experience with this idea? The thread issue, I think, could be fixed by removing the top plate of the bump and drilling and tapping the hole to something common that my local hydraulic hose shop could use.Any thoughts or input on the matter is greatly appreciated.

84prerunner

2:AM Fabrication
Feb 7, 2008
Covina CA
Thats a good quiestion and something i have actually considered myself. Not sure if the hose would survive or not, would really depending on how hard you hit them and how much pressure and oil are in them. My FOAs dont have a secondary cap like most of the modern big company ones do and i have actually blown the pin out of the center of the shrader valve twice now.

Feb 7, 2017
What about just making a shrader hose extension to thread onto the existing valve for filling?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Problem is access, I wouldn't be able to reach in to the schrader to thread on an extension hose, plus even if I could, I imagine there would inevitably be some nitrogen loss while messing with getting it on or off.

Feb 7, 2017
Thats a good quiestion and something i have actually considered myself. Not sure if the hose would survive or not, would really depending on how hard you hit them and how much pressure and oil are in them. My FOAs dont have a secondary cap like most of the modern big company ones do and i have actually blown the pin out of the center of the shrader valve twice now.
This is a short wheel base, 5,000 pound G-Wagen. The bumps have 2.5" of travel and we will pr ssurize them to somewhere around 125 psi. So nothing too crazy like a trophy truck. Funny you mentioned the pin being blow out of your schrader. My first thought when they told me the pressures could be infinite and a hydraulic line wouldn't handle it, is what about the schrader? Thosecant be rated to the pressures they were trying to emphasize to me!I'd love to experiment with this, but we are competing in the Sonora Rally for the second year and this kind of failure is not an option. But we have to drop the front axle down and pull the spring even to just check our pressure, major pain in the ass.

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
a schrader will open if you pressurize it from the outside even if you dont depress the little pin. i would thread on an extension that will not depress the pin, set your nitrogen gauge to the pressure you want, and fill from the extension. you wont be able to actually check the pressure but you can always make sure they are topped off this way. you then also have no worries about the line busting or anything else because if it did, it wont let anything out of the bump.

84prerunner

2:AM Fabrication
Feb 7, 2008
Covina CA
a schrader will open if you pressurize it from the outside even if you dont depress the little pin. i would thread on an extension that will not depress the pin, set your nitrogen gauge to the pressure you want, and fill from the extension. you wont be able to actually check the pressure but you can always make sure they are topped off this way. you then also have no worries about the line busting or anything else because if it did, it wont let anything out of the bump.
Without the secondary cap in place you do risk blowing the needle out like i did. However i doubt it would be an issue for this guys use. When i blew mine out i had over 300psi in the bumps

Scott F

Jan 3, 2005
Tucson (was Anaheim)
they told me the pressures could be infinite and a hydraulic line wouldn't handle it.
If the pressures were "infinite", it would blow out the Schrader and the can.

A lot of Schrader valve bodies have 1/8 NPT pipe thread. If yours does, it would be easy to make a 3000 psi hydraulic hose to fit.

Can you route a hard line in there?

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds