Odd 9" 3rd member question

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
Kind of in an odd place on a 3rd member. Basically lets pretend that maybe you had the bolts that hold the pinion carrier to the 3rd member housing back out and or shear off which allowed the pinion to slide out. The pinion pilot bearing got beat up in the process but other then that everything looks really good. Yes, we'll have it rebuilt before our next race... But, if I replace the pilot bearing and retaining clip.

Is there any reason I can't physically just slide the whole pinion back into place and install new bolts since I've already got the couple broken ones removed?

Yes, I know we should have it rebuilt, don't really care about your opinion... May just end up buying a whole new 3rd in the end... But for now just looking to buy a couple play runs with it before spending the cash to actually have it rebuilt.

Thanks

Jan 18, 2006
Seal Beach, CA
I don't know enough to say yes or no, but I do think of it like this:

If the band aid fix was to fail during a play run, what could be damaged? are you planning to replace all those potential parts soon anyway? what do you gain? what do you lose?

If I'm understanding correctly, I'm thinking you could lose the gears potentially, bearings, carrier, etc. all things that you would be replacing anyway, so run it. If you get a couple play runs, you win. If you don't, you don't really lose anything more than you already lost. Just my thoughts.

Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
Yes, when it's rebuilt 100% of everything including possibly the case will be replaced anyways. If it dies playing we'll replace then. If it lasts playing we'll replace before lining up to actually race it.

The pinion slid out on it's own so I'm assuming I can get it back in as well. I pressed the new pilot bearing in last night and installed the retaining clip. I put about a minute or 2 worth of effort into getting the pinion to slide back in before I was interrupted and never got back to it last night. Seemed like it would go but couldn't get the last 3/8" or so to slide in and seat against the 3rd.

It's easy to say, replace it... When you're not the one spending the money. But when you look at it and there's literally no visible signs of damage from when it came apart other than the pilot bearing those of us that have to actually spend the money look at it and say screw it, let's spend $25 to replace the bearing and slap it back in to play with it more. When we line up to race next time it'll be new either way... We don't know when that'll be though...

Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
why even ask. run it!

I underlined the actual question in the first post... Does anyone know if the pinion can simply be physically slid back in or does the ring gear have to come out, then install the pinion, then reinstall the ring? Cause if that's the case we'll likely have it rebuilt but if I can physically slide it back in then that's what I'm doing.

I'm not asking if I should or shouldn't run it, I'm asking if it's physically possible to simply slide it back in. I messed with it a little bit and didn't have any luck...

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds