Odd 9" 3rd member question

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Soooo who wants to teach me how to set up a 9" rear end? LOL. Google? You tube?

We need to do BroDaddy because his 6.0 gears sound like a pack of angry beavers.

Figure it might be time to learn ourselves and try a different ratio. Don't even know what to buy though! Probably need to get some tools to even measure backlash. Can we get away with just a ring and pinion.. and some shims? Or do you actually need these "rebuild kits" I see for sale?

Yea, I know... total newb questions. Probably shoulda researched before even posting this. HAHAH

Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
Shims between the pinion and 3rd are still there. Top two bolts are 100% gone, next two down were sheared and we came to a stop with just the lower bolt still about 3 threads in with the pinion about 1/2" out at the bottom and about 1 1/2" out at the top. Basically it kind of pivot backed out of the 3rd and somehow when it came apart it didn't leave any visible marks on the pinion or any of the ring gear teeth. Just that pilot bearing got a little hammered. I'm guessing that happened from the mile or two we got pulled by the course works out to where our guys could recover us with our trailer at the pahrump race last month. Sucked cause we were about 15 miles from the finish and could actually visibly see it! LOL Stupid racing hobby!!!

I'll slide it back together this weekend...

As far as the oil and chunks... I told my race partner to clean the inside of the housing out and watch for any noticeable pieces that shouldn't be in the bottom of it! LOL Not sure if he's done that yet though. The truck is at his house and the 3rd is on my bench at my house.

Tchajagos

Feb 12, 2010
Riverside
Soooo who wants to teach me how to set up a 9" rear end? LOL. Google? You tube?
Once you understand how to set up gears, the ford 9” is probably the easiest one to set up. You don’t have to pull bearings to add shims and the only shims are for the pinion.

If there is no noticeable damage on any of the teeth then just change out that small bearing and run it. Make sure the shims are still there between the pinion support and case. Possibly change out the o-ring if it looks damaged. Use grade 8 hardware and thread locker. Pinion support bolt torque is 35 ft-lbs

Oct 1, 2018
San Diego
Pinion depth tool, dial indicator, bearing separator, 1/4 inch dial type torque wrench to measure bearing preload. Shop press. Old good bearings honed out to remove press fit for setup check before final assembly. Oil paint to check pattern. These are all the speciality tools I can think of to setup a diff. Smack the case with a hammer. Lash and bearing preload will change. Load ring gear while rotating pinion to check pattern.

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
Pinion depth tool, dial indicator, bearing separator, 1/4 inch dial type torque wrench to measure bearing preload. Shop press. Old good bearings honed out to remove press fit for setup check before final assembly. Oil paint to check pattern. These are all the speciality tools I can think of to setup a diff. Smack the case with a hammer. Lash and bearing preload will change. Load ring gear while rotating pinion to check pattern.
I've done a few of these. Pinion depth tool, NOT NEEDED. Bearing Separator, NOT NEEDED, OLD bearings honed, NOT NEEDED.

Only tools I have to Buy were a mag base and dial indicator along with a beam style in lb torque wrench.

Watch some youtube videos. Spend a few hours changing things around to see how each shim change affects the setup and run it.

I've also learned to not preload bearings too much. I run them on the loose side of the spec since when they get hot the tighten up even more and will kill them quickly.

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
I've done a few of these. Pinion depth tool, NOT NEEDED. Bearing Separator, NOT NEEDED, OLD bearings honed, NOT NEEDED.

Only tools I have to Buy were a mag base and dial indicator along with a beam style in lb torque wrench.

Watch some youtube videos. Spend a few hours changing things around to see how each shim change affects the setup and run it.

I've also learned to not preload bearings too much. I run them on the loose side of the spec since when they get hot the tighten up even more and will kill them quickly.

All of this. It’s not hard, just time consuming when your new to it. Most people screw things up because they get tired of taking it apart over and over again and leave it “good enough”. “Good enough” and gear set-up are a recipe for shit to blow up.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds