Project 2 Ghetto Build Thread

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
yea, I will probably look into trying things myself next time. I want this to come out nice though. I already have some $$ invested. So, going to stick with it and just complain on here all day. HAHAH

So, been doing more stupid stuff in meantime. More sanding...

Got a new grille for Christmas from my brother... went with newer style with chrome molded in top... the silver/grey/Argent is different... as well as design.

I think it matches the wheels better though... so should look good.

Then I said fuck it and took it out for New Year. With no windows, a taped up dash, etc. It was like a big SxS for the weekend. Had fun ripping around naked out at Poleline. It was busy out there:

What's that... 2Ghetto has friends!?

Then as soon as I went out into the main areas of park with the masses... I got pulled over at Shell Reef almost instantly after arriving there. Such a joke. They are trolling hard for DUI's. They stopped me on the side of shell reef. No, not on the flat.. Up on the damn side of hill. "STOP!!"

Okkk. So I stop with foot on brakes. First thing he says is "how many drinks did you have with dinner tonight". Uhh quite assumptive there sir. I mean maybe I had 7x. 7x sodas! (I didn't say that.. I think I said 1x. I don't really drink any more because I got gout a few months back. Fuuuck that shit)

Anyway... They start asking questions, ask me to remove helmet. Say they smell liquor. Yea, my passenger has been drinking. They tell my they pulled me over for no "rear red" light. I have that orange Sierra LED on the back. I made a joke about them having a spectrometer. He didn't bite. HAHA. So anywho, tells me my truck is NOT EVEN street legal... yet goes back and calls in my fucking plates to have dispatch run them!! Oh, how convenient.

Then he decides to do the eye test. Fucker makes it totally impossible. Keep in mind. I am till on side of hill holding my brakes. He puts th pen so far to my left it is behind the fucking b-pillar. I said, I can't see that!! "Well that's the test.. stick your head out the window" Ummm, hey there genuis.... I'm strapped in a 5 point harness... and holding my foot on the brake. There is no sticking your head out the window.

He realizes he has nothing on me. I hear him talk to the other cop at my rear bumper. So what do they do. They test my fucking passenger!!!! Uhh, that's interesting. Pretty sure you can be as drunk as you want as a passenger!!!

I was still nice and friendly the whole time. We even talked about the paint color I was painting it. (As i had explained why my dash was all taped up and how I normaly have real tail lights, etc). Oh and the irony behind the fact that "my donut" was nice and caught their eye (i whipped it around real quick on the flat before I climbed up the hill)

Eventually I pointed out that I have been holding the brakes the whole time and it is becoming quite tiresome.... and he let me roll down to the flats. So nice of him. hahah.

He ends up giving me a god damn fix it ticket for no rear light on an OHV. Oh, and puts the wrong year for court date (2018)...and horribly misspelled my street name despite 3x attempts of me spelling out C-O-C-O-N-I-N-O. He put Cocowind. LMAO.

Total revenue generation. Kinda chaps my hide a bit. I clearly wasn't drunk or a nuisance.. and my OHV visibility(The spirit of the law, IMO) wasn't an issue either.

Next I will talk about how I almost rolled. need to go to lunch right now. working hard today. hahah

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
So, go home... park it.. talk shit on how dumb the whole debacle was. Had a bunch more fun the next day with the trucks... going up tarantula wash, etc. Nothing too eventful... just lots of smiles per miles. I have a couple videos I will post later. I almost wadded it into some wash walls right away in front of my brother. oopsie!

Then on new years eve.... it rained! What an EPIC riding experience on my 450 though. Dirt was AWESOME! Had a lot of fun charging the washes out in the morning.. and hitting some local camp 2nd gear jumps...

RAIN!

Then once the rain stopped for a bit ... we took the trucks out. Had a lot of fun ripping this little make shift track i have. It just so happens to include a flat 180* turn. The SAME EXACT turn I rolled 2ghetto at ... umm what back in 2013 or so??

Well, ripping that turn all day. You can back into it big time.. basically sliding sideways into it... and power out. When powering out.. it starts gripping good... and will left those inside tires. TONS of fun. Well, at the end of the evening... it just started getting dark. Justin wanted a ride in mine to see how it feels compared to his (Always trying to improve tuning).

I take him for a ride. This is just like when I first rolled it. Sun went down.. moisture coming up thourh dirt... add a passenger... and hit that corner hard on our 3rd lap. HOLY SMOKES>>> shit gripped hard.. and we went up on 2 big time. I was waaaaay up there. Somehow, managed to save it. Phew. PARK IT!!!

Ended up jamming dirt in the front bead during the recovery ... and the tire started leaking and went flat. PHEW!!! SUPER CLOSE CALL.

Dodged that bullet. I will claim skill this time, not luck. hahah.

You can see here how far we were on our side (see abrasion marks on sidewall and dirt in fake beadlocks)

All home and cleaned up... unlike my underwear. haha

Last edited:

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
So, back home... it was time to get back to work. Since I won't be painting it this century. wahhh.

Finally got the rest of my tabs and finished up the AL panels in the back. Ordered up some black fender washers for bedsides.. and some fresh stainless bolts.

You know I always like showing my shop visitors... well.. I've managed to pick up quite the active gopher over the Holidays. I feel like my bagel bumpin neighbors have been raising them next door. Mother fucker has tunnels everywhere already.

Managed to find a sinkhole when pulling out the welder. It's like BROverlanding in your own back yard. Swallowed up my 3" wheels dawg

After I winched it out:

Here is the finished trunk paneling after the overlanding sesh:

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Oh.. and I went ahead and decided to weigh my new wheels... and wheel/tire combo. I will have to check back in my notes.. or just bring in one of the Outlaw II's with BFG AT and weigh again. But, from my foggy memory... I think I gained almost 10lbs per wheel!?

Ultra - Walker Evans 15x8 5x5.5 fake beadlock wheel = 22 lbs (21.6 on other scale)

And here it is clad with a 35 x 12.5 - 15R BFG KM2. Mounted and balanced. = 84 lbs

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
So how does that work in California if the muck up a ticket that bad, does/can it get dismissed?

"Sorry your (you're?) honor, the ticket was written to someone else"

Sean
Weeelll, I think they have my license number correct... and they sent a correction for the date. Address was incorrect on that too...but the mail still made it. LOL

So, it won't matter. I'm gonna have to just pay up. First ticket I have gotten there ever (and been going for decades)... so I guess I will just consider it a park usage fee.

Jul 11, 2005
Ventura, California
Ya that's lame, can't believe some cops/rangers feel like they need to be the hall monitors of life. "Hey, no having fun!"

I would of just went with the "I don't answer questions" approach since being nice doesn't seem to get us anywhere these days ha ha.

Looks like a solid trip, glad you kept it upright. Panels look good!

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds