Project G4 AKA QuasiGhetto

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
I'm gonna start a build thread for a truck I don't even own yet. Cart before the horse on this one. I do have a plan though. Same old Ranger... but this time I will slap a V8 in it from the get go. I will document every tube to the best of my ability. My original plan was to re-use a lot of parts from 2Ghetto. That plan seems to be falling apart rapidly, and I haven't even bought the project yet!!

Picked up some unused Threat beams from the DR classifieds "nakedracer1433" guy if i recall correctly. Seem to be nicely re-worked. These were billet D35 ends. They have custom spindles with uniballs and Camburg weld in 2.25" snouts and hubs with squeal goods.

I also have a Threat link on order. Oops, I did it again. I really called him to talk myself into building my own beam and radius arm mounts (kit was missing those). I ended up ordering a new set of his new links with 2x vertical ribs... and the brackets. Yes, I have a sickness.

Anywho, on to the pictures. Had to bend the law to feel adequately protected for a large cash purchase. Stupid CA gun laws make my gun as useful as a rock, unless you flirt with the law of course.

Transaction went smooth, no hollow points were harmed in the making of this deal. Got um home, unloaded and went to SD SX.

Had to snap pics before I left. Spindles seem nice.

I was told the custom spindles were done by ES mostorports. Being fixed with no adjustment...Hopefully that camber is set right for the ride height I want. Otherwise I'm gonna have some fun trying to redo camber!!

Billet ends and that unique 3x bend/clamshell design that I loved of Threats. (don't see them done this way anymore... stoked on um aesthetically)

Darlington Bolts, BRO! Only lowers seem to be shanked... with some extra spacers for fun instead of cutting bolt down?

Last edited:

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
First step was to take things apart and start rust proofing...

Here's the non shanked upper and shanked lower with neato spacer. lol

After only a few nights, things were already rusty.

Lots of fun living in Sandy Eggo!

EXXXTREME CLOSE UP!!!

Decided to draw up some ideas for overlays too... while I was taking breaks on sanding

And here we are.... no more rusty trombones in my future. lol

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Next up was addressing the swingers. I have bent some before. So, this time I decided to box them in on the backside.

Made a quick template and used my buddies "grizzly industrial vise brake". Man, that tool is pretty cool. And well, you know my sickness. Guess who drunk ordered a 4" one a few nights ago.

<<<<< THIS GUY!!!

Lined up perfect...

Burninate um in with some metal glue..

Trying to stack dimes.... obligatory exxtreme close up

Always take notes kids.. otherwise you forget. Failing memory... another perc of old age to add in with the failing body!

Decided to cut off plate gusset and use a tube gusset. And re-use the plate gusset to the other swinger. Max overkill.

Gaps tighter than anything you will see at this age too, kids. HAHAH

Squirt squirt! Check out my hot metal jizz!

Didn't you guys miss my stupid posts and over abundance of photos!!?? lol

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
I’m glad you have started another build!

I enjoy the overabundance of pictures, humorous write-ups, skilled craftsmanship, determination to use shitty tools, unabashed comical documentation of mistakes, and helpful build tidbits.

Another Ranger, though??? I love Rangers, but why not something pre-smog? Or 3 or 4 seats?

Are you gonna finally break down and get a TIG welder?

96f-u250

Sep 27, 2013
VenTurA 805!

I enjoy the overabundance of pictures, humorous write-ups, skilled craftsmanship, determination to use shitty tools, unabashed comical documentation of mistakes, and helpful build tidbits.

Another Ranger, though??? I love Rangers, but why not something pre-smog? Or 3 or 4 seats?

I agree with all this, especially with yall wanting a V-8 in sanctuary state california! and since you do not have beam or rad arm mounts yet, it will be easier to adapt them to any frame and get trackwidth, wheelbase.. and all that where you want..!! And who else on here has badass old trucks that still do updates!

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Whats the indea behind that spacer thing
I have no fucking clue. Only idea I have is because they didn't want to cut the bolt? Orrr maybe it was a spacer for you to put in your gaping butt-holio after the price??? I'm sure they must have charged a pretty price for those spindles! Dude said he had like almost 9K in that front kit or something! Seems a bit excessive...

LOL. The astute observer will notice the abundance of shitty tools and random objects. I mean check out that flap disk on that 9.99 "Drill master" angle grinder, brah! Pretty sure it's just a spinning disk at this point. That sweet pack of old brittle zip ties that I have no idea where they came from. And the lights that are ripped out/broken off the harbor fail stand. (Dont worry, I actually fixed that.) Oh, and the vintage iROBOT in my spare bedroom of parts .... that goes .5ft and dies. LMAO.

Fuck no on the TIG, my MIGGA! I ain't got time for that shit! LOL. I say that now... but you never know. I still doubt it. Plus, I'm still not even good enough on MIG. haha.

Since a few asked about the choice of another Ranger. Well, this IS Desert "RANGERS"... did you guys forget where you were at on the web? I like the Ranger platform. It's the right size, I know them very well ... I have notes where I can bust it out faster. Smug stuff is an offline conversation. wink,wink. Believe me, I looked into building an older F1. There are too many cons for me. I would have to totally re-arrange things in my life to deal with it. It's going to be much larger, much heavier, much much much more expensive, and just harder to deal with for me. I would have to get a different trailer, etc, etc.

I like the idea of 85-86" and 125ish, 4,500lb (I hope/wish.) Chevy LS/LQ motor, 4l80, .. maybe try and stuff some 37's in there.. maybe try and stuff a tiny 3rd seat for a legless stripper migdet. Oh what a glorious dream....

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
external c pillar makes a 3rd seat a very possible option. i also love the ranger platform for the same reasons! stoked to see you get started on this

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds