Project G4 AKA QuasiGhetto

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Aug 18, 2008
San Diego, Ca
I think a lot of people have this misconception that you can't get a good amount of up travel out of the stock frame. And the cool thing to say is "backhalf it bro" As you can see.... I'm not entirely sold on that. (I can't deny there are other potential advantages... like packaging etc)

And the bump thing may be true with 17's and 37's though. I will do some real world shit and show it.
Its not that its the "cool" thing. Its proven... Making your life more difficult with frame rails is fine, but you're sacificing at the end of the day. I learned real quick on the F1, its restricting as hell having frame rails dictating where things go haha. A kicked frame is cool if thats the look you are trying to go for, but alot of work for a massive ass frame rail still being there though haha! If you are even considering cutting the frame off at the axle, cut it at the cab..

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
So... I don't really think I can get this much better. I raced ORN on Sat in 2ghetto and kicked ass...... But was dragging ass on Sun. I still got the tubes exiting the cab done and got main structure done though.

Here is a simple way to get it right...

Making this as tight as possible. This required a change in the notes. You can see how the tubes weren't perfecty in line. I ended up making a new b-pillar x-member. It needed to be 50.5". So that is my first throw away tube. (.5" wider than what my notes said. It's OK. I will reuse that tube and only lose 1" of material max from notches)

Look at that.....

Tuned up all the tubes. Made more sleeves. Beveled and cleaned all tubes, gapped/tacked all sleeves, measured it it all. (took 1/8" off top of lower a-pillar tube for weld gap. Need to add that to notes too)

The top tubes exiting cab are .1 degree off the rear frame rails. Floor tubes are dead 0. It's insane how perfect it is. I don't think anything is more than .1 degree. Maybe final welding will warp and fix those numbers though. HAHA. This new digital angle finder tool has been awesome though. Can't believe I built trucks without one..

So.. that means it is time to tack it all in for special weld sequence, etc. First step. Tack the front of lower subframe/floor tubes in correct position.

Go ahead and plug weld the floor tube where b-pillar needs to land...

Tack in the lower a-pillars. Tack the a-pillar sleeves too so they are one piece.

Then get your b-pillar tubes all fine tuned and cleaned up.... Man, looking gggreeaaaat. Lines are perfect all the way from front to back

And they are huggin cab wonderfully.

So good... you will have to cut off the seat belt mounting nubs so they are flush to body. Otherwise the tubes will hit. SPECIAL NOTE. I did these a little different than notes. They are extra tight and have more bend. I believe the bend was right about 20*.

There's that damn pesky .1* again!!! That number is in reference to lower floor tube BTW.

Then the b-pillar tube was tacked in. Now it is time to makes some more holes in the cab for b-pillar support.. and for tubes exiting cab in front and back.

At this point.. I am 99% ready to cut off roof so I can do final welds on backs of a and b pillars.

Oh, and waiting on my "GOAT" tool so I can notch within 4 inches of a bend....

Last edited:

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
^^^ I know where you fucks are going with this!!! HAHAHHA. If I don't backhalf this.. I will be publicly shamed "4lyfe".

I know everyone is dying for me to cut it in half... but here's another concern of cutting frame off right now. I need to try and keep this thing as a roller for a while.. or do it in stages. (Kinda getting serious with new chick and need to have some mobility.)

Current plan is to worry about cab cage, beam install, motor/trans install... then worry about back.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
^^^LMAO!! Ohh hell no! But I am old.. and if I plan to do kids thing... it would be a good idea sooner than later.

BUT...No way! I will avoid minivan like plague. That's what crewcab is for!

And yea, same one from elephant tree pics. Total sweetheart ... and so far OK being a #truckwidow on weekends. hahah

doyouquaxu

Asshole Member
Feb 12, 2007
Texas
^^^ I know where you fucks are going with this!!! HAHAHHA. If I don't backhalf this.. I will be publicly shamed "4lyfe".

I know everyone is dying for me to cut it in half... but here's another concern of cutting frame off right now. I need to try and keep this thing as a roller for a while.. or do it in stages. (Kinda getting serious with new chick and need to have some mobility.)

Current plan is to worry about cab cage, beam install, motor/trans install... then worry about back.
Cut back of frame off, buy cheap casters from Harbor Freight and weld them to the bottom of the frame. Much more mobile, takes up much less space. You're welcome.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
^^^^ Uhh, they better be some big ass mud bogger casters. No way anything like that is gonna roll in my backyard right now. Way too wet/soft.

Got the c-pillar tubes made last night. These won't be able to be installed until after I cut roof off and do welds on bottom of a and b's. Had to take just under 1.5 off these. Same as b-pillar.

Also notched the b-pillar floor cross member ... to fit in after I weld the bottom of b pills.

Oh and also got my GOAT so I can notch within 4" of a bend now. Thanks for the lead on that tool Tommy!!! Had a feeling this tube would be too tight for the c-pillar roof cross member.
So, made it to check.... and I think it will be. Barely. Should work as b-pillar roof cross member. We'll see.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds