Project: Mobza--Pretending we are 17 again

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Sep 3, 2016
Queanbeyan, Australia
Racetrim problems. It seems like the “tweed?” fabric was painted onto the foam.
Looks like the seats in my old Mazda wagon, 1980 323 or whatever you guys called it. Back seat was perfect, never been used beige velour, front seats had some godawful brown tweed seatcovers over them. First time someone sat in the back seat the velour stuck to them and the seat looked like that. Which was better than the front seats, pulled the seat covers off and found the foam was turning to dust.

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Looks like the seats in my old Mazda wagon, 1980 323 or whatever you guys called it. Back seat was perfect, never been used beige velour, front seats had some godawful brown tweed seatcovers over them. First time someone sat in the back seat the velour stuck to them and the seat looked like that. Which was better than the front seats, pulled the seat covers off and found the foam was turning to dust.
I imagine that your mazda was just as spectacular as this one:

He even got the memo about unpainted prerunner fenders! Fuckin’ awesome!

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Hours: 9
Beers: 9
Yard Pisses: 7
Discrete tubes finished: 13
Tubes cut too short: 1
Tools spiked: 1 shitty Harbor Freight 36” bar clamp
Tungsten dips into silicon bronze puddle: 4
Expletives yelled: 5
Music: Motorhead
Footwear: day laborer concrete forming steel toe boots(side note: why do I see so many douchebags on Harleys wearing these boots? Of course, the boots are unblemished and apparently just for show. Fucking Fags. Anyway, thus ends my rant.)

Cut off tubes stubbed out of the back of the cab:

Silicon bronzed down tubes to the cab. Check out the heat marks on the tube—almost non-existant. I am guessing I was welding at around 80 Amps. 1/16” Silicon Bronze filler rod.

Slingin’ tube. I Tigged everything. What a pleasant, aesthetically pleasing waste of time.

After lunch, I made the stadium-style rear bumper/trunk closeout. That fucker weighs 39.6 lbs!

Protrudes 7” aft past the bedsides.

Fuck that clamp

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Time: 8 hours
Discrete tubes completed: 8
Natty lights: 9
Successful notches completed with the chinee prasma cuttel: 4
Tools: JMR notcher, plasma cutter, 4.5” grinder with flap wheel, 4.5” grinder with stone wheel, 4.5” grinder with cutoff disc, Dewalt, Bosch, and Milwaukee, respectively. Millermatic 210 for tacktacktackaroos

Eyeballed/Freehanded the long notch in the diagonal tube with the plasma cutter. Came out decent and took 20 seconds vs 5 minutes with a cutoff wheel & flap disc.

Grinding 20 degree notches takes waaaaaay longer. I will do more plasma notching and report back with results.

And most importantly, my mother-in-law crocheted this gem for my Christmas present:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds