Project: Mobza--Pretending we are 17 again

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Mar 23, 2016
High Desert, Ca
Question for you that ive been wondering about my truck. mine is set up without the factory coolant tank and has a non recycling overflow just like that. do you now just fill radiator to the top or?
Kyle drilled a small hole in the top to allow fluid to escape and be drawn in the radiator so it won't blow the hose off the bottle. The factory hose was below the radiator tank too but this one is a little lower than OEM .. Should work in theory like the shitty ford one.. would knows. Maybe at malls smash parking lot bumps i blow the fucker right off the truck. Gotta impress those cool 20 year olds and their moms too brah

Its black sparkly which is homo factor for this amazon tank.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
Kyle drilled a small hole in the top to allow fluid to escape and be drawn in the radiator so it won't blow the hose off the bottle. The factory hose was below the radiator tank too but this one is a little lower than OEM .. Should work in theory like the shitty ford one.. would knows. Maybe at malls smash parking lot bumps i blow the fucker right off the truck. Gotta impress those cool 20 year olds and their moms too brah

Its black sparkly which is homo factor for this amazon tank.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
so like the radiator will suck in fluid from the same hose its using to dump it??

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
AWESOME! thanks for the info guys
Does the factory system have a pressure cap on the reservoir or the radiator? if its on the radiator than this works fine. route the hose from the radiator to the BOTTOM of the reservoir, and make sure there is a vent at the top. Pro tip, run a hose from the vent down to the ground so when it pukes out it doesn't do so all over the bay. bonus points if you route to somewhere where you can easily see if coolant leaked out. When the cap pops open at the radiator it will push fluid to the bottom of the reservoir, filing it up. As the system cools, it will suck the coolant back to the radiator. Only catch, if you run out of coolant while its drawing it back, you will introduce air into the system. The old school factory systems (radiator pressure cap/non pressurized overflow) work the same way.

This check valve in the cap is news to me, don't trust it lol.

Now, if the factory reservoir HAS a pressure cap, then this will not work and you will have to get a reservoir that has one. They are also on amazon.

Last edited:

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
radiator has the cap. thank you for the explanation! weird/ worried now. my "over flow" hose doesnt go to a tank.... just routed some where low to dump fluid. temp gauge has never shown the engine to go above "normal"

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
radiator has the cap. thank you for the explanation! weird/ worried now. my "over flow" hose doesnt go to a tank.... just routed some where low to dump fluid. temp gauge has never shown the engine to go above "normal"
that would explain your loss of coolant. When the system pressurized it just puked it out with nothing to capture it, then sucked in air when it cooled down... Definitely get a tank of some sort on there quick. Doesn't need to be anything fancy. A gatorade bottle with a hole in the cap and a hose going to the bottom would suffice for now. But with 2 day shipping from amazon, probably not necessary.

I picked up two of these, one for coolant, one for windshield washer fluid :)

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds