Project: "Turboyota" (Tur-BRO-yota would probably be more accurate)

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
This project was conceived while carpooling 125 miles/day round trip from Yucaipa to Adelanto. The saga began in mid-June 2015 when my buddy/broski/coworker and I were spending 3+ hours in the car every day fighting the construction traffic through the Cajon Pass. We'd sit there in our shitty, boring commuter cars and fantasize about being able to get off the freeway at HWY138 and take dirt roads north all the way into work. We hoped to avoid the vast majority of the fuckity crossover lanes and construction traffic.

We decided that we needed a dirt-worthy, commuting-friendly DD truck to help ease the freeway pain. We planned on 40 dirt miles/day. If we were going to spend that much time commuting/carpooling, we were going to laugh our asses off in the dirt, goddamnit.

Important factors that we considered when choosing a starter truck:

•Truck purchase price: under $3000
•Economy: around 20mpg
•Decent street manners
•Air conditioning, defrost and heater
•Good budget-minded Prerunner platform--this was narrowed to: 2WD and 4X4 2.3 & 4.0 liter beamed Rangers, 84-95 22RE Toyotas, and all Tacomas.
•Availability of used performance parts was of paramount importance. We wanted to source the requisite parts for the build on Craigslist, RDC classifieds, and the Leduc swapmeet to keep build costs reasonable.

Between the two of us, we had all the shocks and enough 1.75"x0.095" 4130 tube for a complete truck build.

We started perusing Craigslist for 84-04 Toyotas and 83-97 Rangers. Looked at quite a few rangers and toyotas. 80's toyotas are especially expensive. We found a factory 22RTE TURBO(!) Toyota truck in downtown LA listed for $4000. Significantly more than we were hoping to spend, but turbo! Test drove it--very fast and fun to drive. It was a tire smoking sonuvabitch! It came complete with a sweet ricer blow off valve and ghetto vatozone lowering blocks(not to mention $197 in registration back fees). We talked the El Salvadorian vatos down to $2000 and drove her home!

Commence bromance! Yes, gentle readers, a joint project--we will see how well this plays out...

Timeline: Mid-June 2015

A keen observer will notice that the driver's side rear tire is in fact a trailer tire.

My girlfriend got me some sweet 80's OP shorts to compliment my sweet 80's lowered Toyota. What an awesome woman.

After selling the bumpers and cranking the torsion bars:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Next, we fixed all the stuff that was held on with baling wire--which was almost everything. All bolts were loose. Most the hoses leaked water(there was no antifreeze in the cooling system). It leaked oil from everywhere. Exhaust had a leak.

Replaced cap, rotor, plugs, wires, hoses, coolant, oil, and cleaned the K&N. Wired the ignition so we didn't have to start it with speaker wires that hung below the dash. We smogged, registered, and insured it and drove it to work twice. Laid peg leg burnouts all over the Adelanto industrial parks.

I'll try to give detailed man-hour tracking of each task throughout the build. Hour tracking helps me plan future projects more accurately.

I will list the cost of all parts and materials for the build.

I have weighed almost all the stuff that was added/subtracted from the truck.

Total time spent tuning up and un-ghettoing the truck: 16 hours

Expenditures thus far:
Truck $2000
Registration & smog $397
Tune-up parts $70

Had to take a Turboyota break and weld a gay-ass RZR cage for my fat buddy... notice the grille is gone and the headlights are haphazardly hanging? Because baling wire.

Last edited:

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Welcome to the Turbo Yota club. I laughed a little at your 20mpg. I have a fresh rebuilt turbo 22re in my 4runenr with a stock Turbo cranked up to about 9lbs (All the stock computer can handle). My Friend runs a stock motor 22re with T3/T4 turbo on it at 9lbs also and my other friend runs a fully built motor with a T3/T4 and stand alone and he runs an adjustable pressure knob and can turn it up to 20ish.

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
I was INCREDIBLY excited to find a 22RTE Toyota.

I'm glad you laughed about the 20MPG--it was a lofty goal. My friend has a built 22RE with T3/T4 and he told me he gets 22mpg highway.

My stock computer freaks out between 9-10lbs of boost.

I'll let the build play out without jumping too far ahead, but currently with a 4 speed manual trans, 4.56's and 33x10.5BFGs I'm getting 17-18mpg.

Are there build threads for any of the aforementioned turbo Toyotas?

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Ditch the stock CT20? turbo, it's a turd. T3/T4 is where it's at.
The CT20 will get ditched in time. For now, I'd consider that Project Scope Creep, or PSC as I shall refer to it henceforth.

If the motor holds together I may go T3/T4, if I blow up the motor, I'll yank it out and throw in a LS1 or LS3.

I made a pretty nice downtube and exhaust for the CT20 already... pictures to follow soon.

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Let's cut this bitch apart!
Gutted the interior and listed everything for sale on Craigslist.

Sold all this unnecessary crap:
Bed & tailgate $280
Bumpers $100
Bench seat $50
Stock front bumper $40
Fenders $40
Hood $40
Blow off valve and stock turbo fittings $60
Valence $15
White spoke rims & tires $100
Bilstein front shocks $50
Rear helper coilovers $40
Third member $140
Total: $955 parts sold.

Not bad for a $2000 truck.

We decided to approach the build incrementally: the truck should never have downtime longer than a 3-day weekend. This would keep the truck in-use and help us stay motivated and focused.

This would have worked if my buddy had the stones to tell his girlfriend that we went in on a truck together. Instead, he hid it from her, avoided the confrontation, and snuck over on occasion. See where this is going???

Me:
"Dude, did you tell her about the truck yet?"

Buddy:
"Ahhhhh, no. I don't think I'm gonna tell her."

Me:
"JesuuuuusssstittyfuckingCHRIST!!!"

Cagework:

We rolled the upper windshield tube, upper rear window tube, and the lower windshield/firewall tube.

The cage took longer than I would have liked due to my buddy's sporadic attendance, but it got done. All the X-bracing is 1.5x0.058" 4130. Nice and light.

All joints were fully welded before the diagonals covered up the underlying tube joints. The shitty sun roof made it damn near impossible to tuck the roof tubes in as tight as I would have liked. We welded all the tubes directly to the cab sheet metal above and below the doors.

Total man-hours in the cab cage including stubs out the firewall: 55 hours

I think we finished the cab cage around August or September 2015. A little longer than the weekend downtime we schemed about. I'll edit with more accurate dates later.

I made lots of cool stuff while the other co-owner wasn't showing up very often. More to come soon.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds