Sell out and buy a utv?

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

RanchRanger

Mar 24, 2017
Are UTV's the inevitable future of offroaders? I'm debating on making the switch. I have a 93 ranger with camburg beams, king coilovers/bumps, f31 deavers, spooled 9in, and a full engine/cab/bed cage. I just finished putting together a 5.3 and th400 for it and have heims/brackets and home built lower links sitting on the shelf for a back half/4 link. Im at the point where im about to cut this pig in half but in the back of my mind im pondering if i should sell it all and buy a utv. I live and breathe v8's and have always been a car/truck enthusiasts, but is the practically no longer there in the offroad world for "garage builds" when you can buy a utv? This is my first venture into "high speed" offroad and ive never rode in a linked prerunner before? The thought of slapping threw the gears of a manual valve body, merican muscle singing at 6000rpm, and skipping across a pasture doing 80mph puts a huge smile on my face. But is it worth the effort, or will i be wishing i spent time out wheeling in a utv instead of building a truck that ill never get half my money back out of? Thanks!

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
UTVs are insanely expensive. I couldn't get myself to buying one, unless it was an older Rhino or something to screw around camp with for cheap. Also, you *don't* have to tow a truck out wherever you're going. A lot of trips we do, we pack our gear into the trucks and go point to point. Can't really do that as easily with a UTV. Plus UTVs are stupid and have made washboards infinitely worse than they used to be.

RanchRanger

Mar 24, 2017
I really dont think the prices are that horrible anymore. I see 900xp's with 1000mi and a trailer go for $10-11k on facebook all the time. The cost of buying a pair coilovers and bump stops would be more than a down payment if you were to finance.

getch

Sep 12, 2007
Fullerton
I like them both for different reasons. If you’re looking for a project and want something to work on, build the truck. If you want something turnkey, get a UTV. UTV’s are only expensive if you make them expensive, same goes with trucks. The type of truck you have is on the cheaper side, the type of truck you’re talking about building it into is expensive and much more work to maintain/build, it also sounds like your first build so it will take some extra time on the build side. The V8 is cool and all, but just linking it will be a world of difference and much less of a headache if it has a 4.0 in it already. A dialed, linked V6 will be plenty fast and handle much better than the f31’s.

Side note... Took the RZR on a night ride a few weeks ago, hit a rock following a buddy close and bent the front arm. Was able to keep going and finish the ride, and the next day I had a new arm from the dealer for $120 and was back on the road.

Landon

Medium Horse Rider
Nov 29, 2004
#NotBeachlife
To me there is no comparison. I could not do any of the stuff i love to do in a UTV. You are so limited on where you can go with the UTVs, you have to stick to OHV's which rules out 99% of the good trails in California. Because they are not street legal you can't do point to point runs, you have to set up a base camp. Plus building and working on my truck is half the fun. I now completely avoid OHV's thanks to UTVs, they are the worst thing to ever happen to off road IMO....

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
i agree with everything landon said. no comparison in my opinion either. i like working on my truck and having the gratification that i made something. i drive my truck out 90% of desert trips and with a stock 4.0 its faster than all utvs ive encountered through glamis or desert (unless were talking about the sand drags) having an enclosed cab is nice for dusty days and also cold days.

RanchRanger

Mar 24, 2017
I live in eastern Montana so finding places to ride is a completely different ball game then you boys down south. OHV's dont even exists around here lol. This is not my first build be any means, but it is my first "prerunner". Ive done ls swaps, roll cages, flat beds, and im a farm boy so ive done a lot of misc metal fab. A big bulk of the cost i already have in the shop. Its mostly the time aspect at this point. Wish i could ride in a well put together pickup to compare it with a utv.

RanchRanger

Mar 24, 2017
I live in eastern Montana so finding places to ride is a completely different ball game then you boys down south. OHV's dont even exists around here lol. This is not my first build be any means, but it is my first "prerunner". Ive done ls swaps, roll cages, flat beds, and im a farm boy so ive done a lot of misc metal fab. A big bulk of the cost i already have in the shop. Its mostly the time aspect at this point. Wish i could ride in a well put together pickup to compare it with a utv.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds