Sell out and buy a utv?

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
I also don't have kids and am not married so don't have a ton of responsibilities that make it exponentially more difficult. k

Same boat and even though I'm currently burned out mostly cause I've spent the past 6 years working on the race truck that's not mine rather than my own vehicle... I do think there's some secret to success in that lifestyle as far as this hobby goes compared to what I see married friends with kids doing. LOL

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Married, 10yr old twins and no joke I have no clue what everyone complains about on working on the trucks. Granted I know mine is a simple build with a tc kit and deavers but I built the cage, bumpers and all the other stuff. I just do it in bites and keep it driveable. I have my 56 mercury which is a 20yr project. Maintenance upkeep on mine is simple oil changes and bolt checks. Nothing breaks and the family loves the thing as much as I do.

Never wanted to be the biggest,baddest thing in the desert. I just wanted to be "in the desert". So i say Keep It Simple Stupid and have fun in the truck

Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
That's where you're winning, you've kept it simple... Between being a one man show for our race build/prep. Keeping my '67 Mustang Daily driver running and then the F150 in my Avatar... It's non-stop virtually every night living in my garage keeping them dialed and running. At times I literally don't have a social life leading up to races. To the point the I just quit the racing gig after our last race. I need to focus on things other than my garage...

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
It's hard, UTVS are much more turn key and less maintenance from what I have seen.
That's because UTVs are still fairly new. You aren't modifying an existing 14-40 year old truck that has already seen over a few hundred thousand miles. Give it 5 or 10 years and you'll see clapped out UTVs left and right. They still need to be maintained, but people aren't going to do it after the novelty of a new toy wears off.

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
That's where you're winning, you've kept it simple... Between being a one man show for our race build/prep. Keeping my '67 Mustang Daily driver running and then the F150 in my Avatar... It's non-stop virtually every night living in my garage keeping them dialed and running. At times I literally don't have a social life leading up to races. To the point the I just quit the racing gig after our last race. I need to focus on things other than my garage...
Yeah . Lots of friends race and they don't go have fun in the des anymore because prepped for race and all that. My trick. Reliable daily tundra (no work ever). Simple off-road truck (minimal up keep) long project that will never be done (56 merc) then time wasters are the bikes and jet skis for when bored and only have 30 minutes to tinker.

The BIGGEST thing is that the family loves the off road truck so when work is needed they make time for me to get it done.

Had a 67 mustang as a daily at one point also.

Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
racing is a huge commitment and a giant chunk out of the fun budet. i learned that back in the 80's. yea.... i am that old. i could not keep up with all the time work, friends, chicks, and money. i got sick of everything breaking. sold off all my race interest and crappy j-10 prerunner and bought my 88 ranger at the dealer and built myself a prerunner/fun toy. never looked back. still raced once in a while but mostly on other peoples equipment. then i get in my truck and have fun.

crf250r6

Mar 24, 2007
mira loma
I’ve also spent a lot of time working on other people’s stuff which gave me less time for my own, I got tired of the rush to get my shit to the desert, I guess I should’ve stuck with the simple leaf sprung ranger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
As we were blasting around Ocotillio yesterday in my buddies crew cab pre-runner with the heat and heated seats blasting, I looked out at the few diehard golfcarters left running around and laughed. Then we went over into the street legal section and had some more fun. Then we drove into Borrego and had a nice prime rib dinner.

Even though the weather sucked, that day did not.

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
Utv’s need as much work as a prerunner. If someone tells you different, they either drive it like a grandpa or are flat out lieing. When we go duning, I lead our group. I don’t push it hard unless we are on a “guys ride”, then it’s balls out but I literally dune till a rzr/x3 blows a belt or something else breaks. We get 45min to an hour fifteen at that rate pretty consistently. The amount of clutch maintenance is ridiculous too. If you actually use your utv, plan to buy new clutches or rebuild then once a year, I don’t care what you have, it will need it to be reliable. Then you got the weak, crap chassis, unit bearings from China, harnesses setup to break your back, axles that pop out or break if you even think about the throttle when you sky it out, and upgrades that cost way too much for what you get.

The last few runs down in Mexico with rzr/x3 it was belts and clutches that became issues. Tracker became the damn tow rig cause heaven forbid another utv tow a broke one. We don’t want to break more of those glass machines on a ride

Landon

Medium Horse Rider
Nov 29, 2004
#NotBeachlife
Utv’s need as much work as a prerunner. If someone tells you different, they either drive it like a grandpa or are flat out lieing. When we go duning, I lead our group. I don’t push it hard unless we are on a “guys ride”, then it’s balls out but I literally dune till a rzr/x3 blows a belt or something else breaks. We get 45min to an hour fifteen at that rate pretty consistently. The amount of clutch maintenance is ridiculous too. If you actually use your utv, plan to buy new clutches or rebuild then once a year, I don’t care what you have, it will need it to be reliable. Then you got the weak, crap chassis, unit bearings from China, harnesses setup to break your back, axles that pop out or break if you even think about the throttle when you sky it out, and upgrades that cost way too much for what you get.

The last few runs down in Mexico with rzr/x3 it was belts and clutches that became issues. Tracker became the damn tow rig cause heaven forbid another utv tow a broke one. We don’t want to break more of those glass machines on a ride
I saw at least 5 or 6 UTV's being towed back to camp this weekend.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds