setting crush sleeves camburg hubs, need help

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Sep 23, 2018
camarillo
I'm having trouble setting up my crush sleeve tolerances. the way i do it is by heating up the hub then using a magnetic mic, mount it on the spindle and push the hub back and for and watch the indicator. am i doing something wrong? also do u do it with the bearings greased or dry thanks. tolerances are suppose to be .004-.006

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
No heat, put the hub on and check the amount of freeplay. Then take that +.004 off the spacer.

If your hub has .025 of play you would take .029 off the spacer.

Everybody had different crush settings, I have used anywhere from .004-.012

Make sure the spacer is running true in the lathe, a out of square spacer is almost as bad as not having one. I use a pie collet and touch up the back face every time it goes in the lathe just to make sure it's flat. Does not matter if it's round........

3 jaw chuck? Yeah, good luck.

Edit, bearing dry.

Sep 23, 2018
camarillo
No heat, put the hub on and check the amount of freeplay. Then take that +.004 off the spacer.

If your hub has .025 of play you would take .029 off the spacer.

Everybody had different crush settings, I have used anywhere from .004-.012

Make sure the spacer is running true in the lathe, a out of square spacer is almost as bad as not having one. I use a pie collet and touch up the back face every time it goes in the lathe just to make sure it's flat. Does not matter if it's round........

3 jaw chuck? Yeah, good luck.

Edit, bearing dry.
So when I did my hubs I had .006 of free play originally , should I have taken .004 more off? I just was trying to set it to camburg’s specs.

Dec 10, 2007
Ramona
Im about ready to start my install of my rear Camburg hubs.
So hope it all goes easy.
Here is how i think it goes
Install bearing (dry). And spacer
Set up dial indicator to measure off of hub. (Not rotor?)
Free play + .004 off spacer instal chec to have .001 freeplay?
Your good final assembly?

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds