Single 2.5" coil over ... Front suspension video

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Yea, I'm not sure I wheelie need to get much more pop.(It wheelie seems like it is starting to bounce a little as it is already.)

Does sound like a wheelie good time though.

I don't think I can wheelie get much more out of this single 2.5 coil over. I think I wheelie just need to get some bypasses.

I wheelie do appreciate the comments and thoughts though guys! All this talk about wheelies got my wheelie excited! LOL

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Yea, I'm not sure I wheelie need to get much more pop.(It wheelie seems like it is starting to bounce a little as it is already.)

Does sound like a wheelie good time though.

I don't think I can wheelie get much more out of this single 2.5 coil over. I think I wheelie just need to get some bypasses.

I wheelie do appreciate the comments and thoughts though guys! All this talk about wheelies got my wheelie excited! LOL
Jesus Christ.

This is wheelie getting out of control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bringing this back to the top. this last spring/early summer i used the shit out of my truck finally in a long time.
went a the dr trip, played along at nora, glen helen time trials, and preran the roughest parts of the baja 500.
one thing was clear, my shocks and springs need some adjusting. trent at rsp has been doing my shocks and i think i went off on a drunk cruise with my springs. front set up is only a 2.5 swayaway 14" rear is a sawaway 14" coil with a 16" triple bypass.

started the runs with, front = 16" 500/14" 150 = 117lb. thats right and to light.
during the 500 i switch out the front to a 16" 550/14" 200 = 146 much better
I did not touch the rear. has 16" 450/275 = 170.
after doing some math it is no wounder why i was slaming the front on the bumps all day and nose diving landing on jumps.

so now i am getting on my spring rates to get closer to what fasterNU has. but i need my rig to be able to handle heavy loads in the rear for those long baja vagabond runs. ice chest/ice/camp gear/gear bags/tools/spar parts gets fing heavy. I usaly add 1.5" more preload on the rear for baja trips.

going from 117 to 146 was a good start but i think going to a 196 (fasternu has) is to much for.
i think i will start with some 16"500/14"250 = 166lb.

I may be able to eliminate adjusting preload for baja trips if i bring my spring rates closer together.

not sure what my thoughts were going with such a light/heavy spring set up.

i have to compress the springs a bit to get the bottom retainer on. then i run the top adjuster down to about 1.5". i have the 2nd spring stops at just before coil bind. this gives me about 1.5" of shaft before i am on the bottom spring fully.

my thought was to mack all the street driving and baja wash board roads smother but still had a big spring for the hard hits.

but after doing the math, with a 170 rear spring and a 146 front, i think that is why i lawn dart so much.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
^^^Yea, valving makes it ride soft. When I started with 15 stacks ... and had free bleed up the wazoo, my shit rode like a Cadillac. It also bottomed stupid easy. And had a lot of body roll. Wouldn't handle anything really rough over 45mph. It was SUPER plush though. I joke that I will go back to that valving when I am 85yrs old and want to put around. lol

When I load my truck up with camping gear ... all the weight seems to smash down the back too. My front doesn't really ever change much. My rear has the lightest rate out of the three trucks I have done. Heaviest of 3x trucks for us is G3. He is at 350/400 in back because of the winch etc back there.

Here is my current spring set up:

Front is 350/450. (12" over 16")
Crossovers set to max, so the bottom spring is almost coil bound. I think I made it 1/8" less of what they said the block height was on the bench.
I seriously have 0" pre-load. I have it right now so it is as low as it can be (springs are barely tight at full droop on the limit straps.)

Rear is 300/350 (14" over 14")
I set the cross overs to kick in right at 3.5" of shock shaft. I didn't take the time to remove the shocks and make 100% sure the lower spring won't coil bind.. but from my eyes and looking at space between the coils....(Update here is that I have no evidence of coil bind. So, this setting is safe.) Unfortunately, I do not know how much pre-load I have right now in the rear. I would have to check. It's a hair to low in back though. So, I plan to change it anyway.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
i have to compress the springs a bit to get the bottom retainer on. then i run the top adjuster down to about 1.5". i have the 2nd spring stops at just before coil bind. this gives me about 1.5" of shaft before i am on the bottom spring fully.

my thought was to mack all the street driving and baja wash board roads smother but still had a big spring for the hard hits.

but after doing the math, with a 170 rear spring and a 146 front, i think that is why i lawn dart so much.
If you are sticking with the single coil over up front... you may really really like a rate plate set up for the valving. It seems almost impossible to lawn dart. It will be plush too. It will smack bumps though on huge stuff. But you just cavitate and sky wheelie. My brother LOVES it after I switched him from a traditional stack to his rate plate. It does seem to cook the oil a bit though.

I still miss the pop it had. I am still trying to get some of that back with my new bypass set up. It's a great feeling when you aren't afraid to lawn dart. It really gives driving confidence.

For instance. There was a kicker that was endoing everyone at Del Mar Tuff trucks. (Including myself). Well, my brother could just hit it wide open and not even get a buck. Front just goes BOING! lol

Horunner

Aug 10, 2014
If you are sticking with the single coil over up front... you may really really like a rate plate set up for the valving. It seems almost impossible to lawn dart. It will be plush too. It will smack bumps though on huge stuff. But you just cavitate and sky wheelie. My brother LOVES it after I switched him from a traditional stack to his rate plate. It does seem to cook the oil a bit though.

I still miss the pop it had. I am still trying to get some of that back with my new bypass set up. It's a great feeling when you aren't afraid to lawn dart. It really gives driving confidence.

For instance. There was a kicker that was endoing everyone at Del Mar Tuff trucks. (Including myself). Well, my brother could just hit it wide open and not even get a buck. Front just goes BOING! lol
By rate plate are you talking about that thick washer on the comp side of the shims? Between smallest shim and base of shaft?

Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
By rate plate are you talking about that thick washer on the comp side of the shims? Between smallest shim and base of shaft?
Yes, Basically you delete some shims from the stack. You are making it so the shims hit a wall(That giant thick washer you just described) and that will be the max flow. Sounds weird, but it works well.

I have been wanting to mess with a flexible rate plate. But, I have a bypass now... and haven't messed with it. Maybe I can convince my brother to try it in G3..

Here is what I used to have in 2Ghetto: (Main shim was .028 away from rate plate).
1.65 x .015
1.5 x .010
1.3 x .010
1.2 x .008
_____ RATE PLATE(1.5 x .0625)
Can't remember if it was 1 or 2 bleed plugs installed.
330-350PSI

Here is what we have in G3: (Main shim is .030 away from rate plate.)
1.65 x .015
1.5 x .010
1.3 x .010
1.2 x .010
_________ RATE PLATE(1.5 x .0625)

330 PSI
1 Bleed installed, 2x Bleeds open

Aug 10, 2014
Yes, Basically you delete some shims from the stack. You are making it so the shims hit a wall(That giant thick washer you just described) and that will be the max flow. Sounds weird, but it works well.

I have been wanting to mess with a flexible rate plate. But, I have a bypass now... and haven't messed with it. Maybe I can convince my brother to try it in G3..

Here is what I used to have in 2Ghetto: (Main shim was .028 away from rate plate).
1.65 x .015
1.5 x .010
1.3 x .010
1.2 x .008
_____ RATE PLATE(1.5 x .0625)
Can't remember if it was 1 or 2 bleed plugs installed.
330-350PSI

Here is what we have in G3: (Main shim is .030 away from rate plate.)
1.65 x .015
1.5 x .010
1.3 x .010
1.2 x .010
_________ RATE PLATE(1.5 x .0625)

330 PSI
1 Bleed installed, 2x Bleeds open
Oh okay just making sure. Never got the pop up front end you describe, but that’s most likely because of the fact I have baby shocks.

I’ve messed around with short stacks and free bleeds a lot, it’s amazing what deleting a couple shims can do.

Today's birthdays