Smurfette the 2wd B2

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Oct 18, 2017
Jamul
Welcome to the site man.
I have a set of bushing radius arms that I am tentatively going to use. If I don't end up using them, I will let you know.
Thanks Travis, that’d be awesome. I’ve been thinking I may stick with a bushing radius anyway, don’t think I ‘need’ heimed arms with how this thing will initially be setup

Oct 18, 2017
Jamul
Anyone know if gears or a locker out of a full-size 8.8 will work in an Expo 8.8 housing? I know I’ll have to change the leaf spring perches and shock mounts, and I think there’s some differences between model years in the brake lines and u-joints.. keeping my parking brake would be great but that’s the last thing on my list. Seems like 4.56s are the gearing most 2.9 Ranger guys like to run with 31s/32s.. can anyone attest to this for desert use?

chewy0288

Mega Member
Dec 11, 2011
near sacramento
Locker should work fine as long as it has the correct axle spline count. They made 28 and 31 spline 8.8s. And luckily the 8.8 doesn’t have a “carrier break” so that should all work just fine.

As far as 4.56s being a good choice, that depends what you want to do with your rig.
But I tend to think that would be a good starting point for you. And should keep it somewhat street-able.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 18, 2017
Jamul
Locker should work fine as long as it has the correct axle spline count. They made 28 and 31 spline 8.8s. And luckily the 8.8 doesn’t have a “carrier break” so that should all work just fine.

As far as 4.56s being a good choice, that depends what you want to do with your rig.
But I tend to think that would be a good starting point for you. And should keep it somewhat street-able.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah anything’s better than the 7.5 I have now hah..
I want it to get up to highway speeds a little better, as it’ll be used for long road trips, and driving to and from the desert, mainly the Ocotillo area where I’ll be cruising it around in the washes n stuff. The 2.9 is gutless.. so much so that it can’t get out of its own way.. which is kind of unnerving on the freeway sometimes. I’m hoping gears will help this somewhat since I don’t want to ditch the 2.9 since it’s been extremely reliable so far

Oct 18, 2017
Jamul
So rubber or poly bushings for beam pivots? I was thinking poly would be best, but after talking to John at Autofab it sounds like poly pivots don’t hold up very well.. anyone else had poly bushings break apart on their beams?
In the meantime I finally addressed something I’ve been ignoring since I bought it; the cracked super faded tail lights. Minor thing I think it makes the rearend look a lot cleaner.. I should probably remove the old masking tape and plug all the tiregate holes soon too haha
62803D69-10D1-42DE-A5FB-FB94C29EB5FF.jpeg

542835CD-A200-4F45-B165-68DD9541A8D1.jpeg
B8085566-008D-4C90-893A-F1F0E209C922.jpeg

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds