So its cool to miter tubing now?

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

dose

Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
Just asking because i am seeing a lot of builds lately with mitered tubing joints all over instead of using a bend.
I defiantly understand it would make fab easier in many situations instead of a tricky bend but is it as strong or require extra gussets?
I was a finish carpenter for years so i could miter the shit out of some tubes if its acceptable on my next build.
Last time I did a cage 15 years ago that was a no no...

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Right? I remember people making fun of the guys building stuff with no bends. Now it is ok. I wonder if all those newbs without a tube bender from back in the day are just doing this to laugh at all those that made fun of them before.

dose

Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
Not sure that it is faster. A proper mitered joint is not a butt joint, it is capped first, when adding the time to make the cap without a plasma table I would bet that the time difference between a bend is negligible.
Ok I was assuming they are usually butt joints, so you weld a cap to both ends before they are connected?

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
"Yes"

I like the look of miters in certain spots better.... and bends in certain spots.

I redid the tubes out the back of my cab with miters instead of bends this time. I like the miter look better. AND>> in this case, a miter was a way easier repair! (Tube was already sleeved)

I just weld the shit all at once though....

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds